• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Greetings from Jersey by way of Ireland!

IrishJersey

Hello members! 

I've been a lurker here for few years and decided to join and contribute towards this wonderful community. I'm cate in Jersey, but born and raised in Ireland and moved to Stateside almost 20 years ago. I landed in Jersey 10 years ago after living in major cities along East coast during my undergrad, graduate and early career. 

Pretty excited to start learning and apply what I've learnt from my restaurantuer father, now that i have little bit more time those days. 

Welcome!  Looking forward to your participation!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Cate

Yes, Jersey or New Jersey...and if NJ where are you?  I am up in the NW corner but run up into the Hudson Valley and down to Wildwood Crest at the shore.  Are you thinking about applying your da's experience to a restaurant or personal cheffing?   At least up here so many places that had been doing well for years have gone out ...including where I worked.

Good luck and can't wait to hear more from you.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Thank you for your kind welcome! 

To answer couple of questions from you all about me; 

I have gone back home to Ireland, usually twice a year. However, since getting married and having little kiddos, I haven't been for a visit for 5 years, so way overdue! and Yes! New Jersey is where I am, ironically I never been to Jersey despite it's close promixity to Ireland!

I'm in Central Jersey, and most certainly do run down the shore every summer ;-) and no, I've no interest in getting into a restaurant or the industry. That was after many years in my teens and 20's working in my da's places in various roles. I do have ALOT of apprecation for the guys who run restaurants daily, day in and out...so instead I seem to have developed a lot of interest in making good solid delicious food for my family and friends. Of course, must not forget to include eating out at the many restaurants too!  :raz:

Thank you for your kind welcome again!

• Like 2