• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hiya.. Greetings from Birmingham UK.

asadus

Hello all,

I am a new member and bit new to I.T as well :sad:

Always love to learn new things and my recent passion is chocolate.

I'm bit excited as this eGForum seems like a small town full of great people.

Happy cooking.

Welcome, asadus. Tell us more about yourself. What are you doing with chocolate? I like to eat it, myself, :-) and occasionally bake with it. There are some very accomplished chocolatiers and bakers around here who do amazing things.

Since you're "new to I.T" you may have a lot of technical questions. There are help files (a quick link is at the bottom of every page) and we hosts are also happy to help. Just send us a question using the Personal Messenger system - there's a link in the help files, and there's an envelope icon at the top of every page.

We look forward to reading about your cooking and food in the forums!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

First of all thank you for welcoming me.

woooo I just had a look at Help option bottom of this page..

Looks like first I'll have to learn a lot about computers.

Hi Smithy.

I don't know how to reply your post. I'll learn it quick.

I'm working as a cook serving food to staff in late hours.

For some domastic reason I have to stay at home during days. Willing to become a self taught chocolatier

and start a homebase artisan chocolate business.

Will be posting more as I learn.

Yes I have been to Cadbury world.

Amazing place to visit.

I know what Cadbury was.  What is Cadbury world?

Its a kind of exhibition adjacent to the original factory in Bournville, Birmingham UK.  They charge about £15 ($25) entry.  It covers the history of Cadbury (from their perspective) and the chocolate manufacturing process.  I've been there once, it was ok.  Not something I would go out of my way to do again but people who live in and around Birmingham seem to rate it highly.  It might be similar to Hershey's chocolate world?

Thanks.  I live close enough to Hershey's that I should have visited.  Perhaps I would have if I liked their chocolate better.   Is it correct that there is no longer any Cadbury production in the UK?  The Cadbury brand chocolate in the US is made by Hershey.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

@JoNorvelleWalker..

Cadbury factory is still here in Birmingham UK and producing in full swing. TBH my little one visited last week and factory was still there. :smile:

In 2012 American food gaint Mondelez bought Cadbury and about to invest further £80m at Birmingham plant.

I knew about the acquisition but somehow I thought Kraft had closed the Bournville plant.  That is good news.

I think it was the plant near Bristol (UK) that was closed.  The Bournville factory was not the only site Cadbury owned.  I think they also have a large plant in Ireland too?

Asadus; I found a great little patisserie with an amazing selection of artisan chocolates in Calais (of all places).  I think the French patisseries in general do a good job on the chocolatier front. 

Asadus - a fellow Brummie!

If I was in Brum with a £15 chocolate alocation I would avoid Bournville like the plague and head for Chouchoute in the Great Western Arcade, Snowhill. The man is a class chocolatier.

Best wishes

Mick

Mick Hartley

The PArtisan Baker

bethesdabakers

"I can give you more pep than that store bought yeast" - Evolution Mama (don't you make a monkey out of me)

Bethesdabakers: I have tried few Chouchoute's selections. Some were good some were full of stuff to get long shelf life (Invert sugar etc etc,.) not sure what.

I wouldn't judge because of one bad exprience. That Cadbury world's visit was more like a family day out.

Please give us some detail if you know some good chocolatier around Birmingham.

Chelseabun:   Calais :unsure:  Its bit far from Birmingham :wink: .

:cool:  Just post my first photo.. I can do it I can do it.....

I would like to post my first attempt of making chocolate with DIY mould.

Where should I post it? Should I start a new Topic?

:cool:  Just post my first photo.. I can do it I can do it.....

I would like to post my first attempt of making chocolate with DIY mould.

Where should I post it? Should I start a new Topic?

Yes, you should start it in the Pastry and Baking forum. Remember that this Welcome! topic will automatically lock a week after it was started, and you want people to be able to respond long after that!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Well, there you go - I'll stick to what I know - bread making. But it can't be as bad as Cadbury and don't tell my Mom because she thinks they're great.

As a matter of interest I've done bread courses for two chocolatiers in the past twelve months. They must be inquisitive people.

• Like 1

Mick Hartley

The PArtisan Baker

bethesdabakers

"I can give you more pep than that store bought yeast" - Evolution Mama (don't you make a monkey out of me)