• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A meal at Daniel in NYC

huiray

The boy who loved the madeleines - that would have been me. I see a career as a pastry chef in his future. 

Always speak your mind. Those who mind don't matter and those who matter won't mind.

I was impressed with their table manners.  I can just picture parents drilling them like crazy before the big night.  Me, I would be the one scratching her butt and picking her nose in between poking the kid next to me with my fork.  And I wouldn't be above making some loud gagging noises if I thought it would get a laugh.  

• Like 1

The boy who loved the madeleines - that would have been me. I see a career as a pastry chef in his future. 

I hope you would have sampled some of the other dishes. :-)

As Kerry Beal commented on, he basically didn't eat anything until dessert came and then the madeleines essentially constituted what he ate at Daniel! :-D

Too cutesy. It would have been just as entertaining, but more instructive, if they'd done it with seventh graders.

Echos of the Wire?

Dunno.  7th graders are on the cusp of striving to be "too cool for words" (of course there will be exceptions) especially when they are quite aware of being videotaped and being "on air" and their reactions may not be exactly spontaneous.  :-)

• Like 1