• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Reheat....What, where, and why.

NEPolarbear

When it comes to reheating, we have many options.

What are the pros and cons to reheating either in the oven, microwave, or the stove?

Example: Beef stew

Microwave or on the stove?

Do you have any preference for certain items that will go to a specific way of reheating?

Thanks.

Hate microwaves and won't use them.  

Love my gas grill....we live in central FL and the grill is three steps out the kitchen door; it heats up far quicker than the oven.  Anything bread-y, I reheat on the gas grill....from pizza to savory croissants to flatbreads to spanakopita to naan.  The gas grill (mine is well seasoned) adds a bit of smokiness to the leftover.  For lunch today I reheated leftover 'delivery' calzone on the grill.  

Anything 'wet,' I heat up on the stove-top.  Rarely do I reheat in the oven as I find it dries most leftovers.  

Microwave, usually, on a low cycle for leftovers...stew, soup, pasta, most meat.  If I want to be careful with a braise I usually store the meat and sauce separately and reheat them together on the stovetop, but it depends on how much meat and of what quality.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Microwaves are one of the greatest devices for reheating any menu item! In addition to being quick they also don't to dry out things like most other reheating methods do. The thing that doesn't usually reheat well in a microwave is something that's crispy, they usually get soggy or at least soft.

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.