• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Substitute for Peaches in a Salad

Shel_B

Last night I watched an episode of Naked Chef, and Jamie Oliver made this super-looking salad of baby greens, buffalo milk mozzarella, prosciutto de Parma, and peaches.  I'd like to whip up something like that for a dinner with Toots and friends next week, but, of course, there are no decent peaches to be found.  What fruit might make for a good substitute in this salad?  We have a box of persimmons hanging around, but somehow I can't imagine them in such a salad.

I thought of apples which are abundant now, but maybe their texture might be a little off with the cheese, baby greens, and Parma ham ... maybe not?  Thanks for any suggestions.

... Shel

I had a really wonderful salad recently at chef John Fleer's restaurant, Rhubarb, in Asheville. It was arugula, spinach, wood oven roasted apples, and goat cheese in Kabocha Squash. The apples were not crisp, but they weren't limp either. It was a really great salad.

• Like 1

Mangoes have a lot of peach-like qualities for me. They also will ripen at home if purchased green.

I've never thought of mangoes as having "peach-like qualities," but now that you mention it, I can mentally taste them and make a comparison.  I believe I understand why you feel the way you do.  I just wonder how the mango will pair with some of the other ingredients - I'm having difficulty "tasting" mangoes and prosciutto and buffalo milk moz at the moment.

Using mango would be different and totally unexpected, which is a bonus.

... Shel

+1 on the mango or a firm but ripe cantaloupe style melon - I think color factors into the salad enjoyment

Yes, that might be a consideration.  Here's a section of a screen shot of Jamie's salad ...

Jamaie's Salad.JPG

... Shel

Or if you want to stick to peaches - buy some of those fabulous dried peaches from Trader Joe's and steam then as Andie would before cutting into pieces for your salad.  

• Like 1