• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A new Canadian has arrived!

richichi

Hey folks, found this site by complete accident a couple days ago. I was looking for information about spraying chocolate and stumbled my way into what I believe is possibly one of the most informative forums I have come across on the net. A little about myself, I used to be a microbiologist worked in hospitals and private labs but eventually the market for the labs seized up and I had lost any will to go back to hospital work. I decided a career change was needed and chose to go with my other passion (yes there is life outside of mould and bacteria!) BAKING! I am now officially a baker having just graduated, but my thirst for knowledge is possibly at an all time high.

So thats about it, looking forward to getting to know you all better and most importantly I am looking forward to soaking in as much as I can from you folks.

Cheers!

• Like 2

"If you can crack an egg one-handed, you'll have no problems undoing a brassiere." -Newfie saying

Welcome to eGullet, richichi; we're glad you stumbled over here!  It sounds like you'll fit right in here, with the chocolatiers and bakers and chemists, biologists and random opinionated food enthusiasts.   :biggrin:

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Kerry Beal could be your mentor, she's the chocolate doc. And she still does it all, You need to know about her, but she's still a practicing doc. She can't do it all, all the time. 

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 1

Kerry Beal could be your mentor, she's the chocolate doc. And she still does it all, You need to know about her, but she's still a practicing doc. She can't do it all, all the time. 

But not really for baking!  Chocolate I'd be happy to help out.

Welcome richichi!

I was a lab tech in a previous life as well - ART micro, bacti and haem.  

Welcome richichi to eGullet from another Canadian...formerly living in Ottawa...but long gone now.  DH actually born and raised in Ottawa.  It's such a large and cosmopolitan city now that you'll have ready access to all those wonderful exotic ingredients that we in the Ontario hinterland must get either by mail or by travelling to a urban area.  

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.