• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ansel's Cronut-at-home Recipe

Robenco15

That's a lot of work for what is little more than glorified donut.

Is there someone here who would attempt to make these things at home? 

It's interesting to note that the recipe doesn't use weights but, rather, volume measurements.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

That's a lot of work for what is little more than glorified donut.

Is there someone here who would attempt to make these things at home? 

I might do it just to see what all the fuss was about. There's nothing difficult about it, just a little more time consuming than your average doughnut.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I'm not a huge sweets person or baker so spending three days on something that will only really be good for about a day seems a bit much. I'd gladly spend three days making a stock or sauce as that can obviously be frozen and used a little at a time. But for a doughnut? I'd probably do it once, tops.

I'm not a huge sweets person or baker so spending three days on something that will only really be good for about a day seems a bit much. I'd gladly spend three days making a stock or sauce as that can obviously be frozen and used a little at a time. But for a doughnut? I'd probably do it once, tops.

The only reason I can think of for spending 3 days on it is to give the dough time to develop more flavor. When I use a laminated yeast dough for cinnamon buns, I usually make the dough in the morning, laminate it that afternoon and use it that evening or the next morning.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

The only reason I can think of for spending 3 days on it is to give the dough time to develop more flavor. When I use a laminated yeast dough for cinnamon buns, I usually make the dough in the morning, laminate it that afternoon and use it that evening or the next morning.

I'd also give it three days because Dominique Ansel says so.

I'd also give it three days because Dominique Ansel says so.

I'm frequently hard-headed and trust myself until the results tell me I should have followed the instructions more closely. :biggrin: 

• Like 3

Check out this post.  I like guy's final point: Cronuts are made to be Instagrammed.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2014/oct/10/my-homemade-cronut-made-to-be-instagrammed

I like articles like this. They admit that they did almost everything incorrectly or with the wrong equipment for the job and then sum it up by saying the recipe isn't worth the trouble other than to brag on social media that they did it.

• Like 2