• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Espresso Powder

Shel_B

I don't use espresso powder too often, just when I make chocolate pudding, chocolate milk, and brownies.  Until now I've been using Medaglia D'Oro, a brand easily found in many markets.  I tried other supermarket brands and they all tasted about the same.

Last week, a friend came by and introduced me to this espresso powder:  http://www.thespicehouse.com/spices/espress-powder#content

Oh, My!  What a difference.  Richer, more flavorful, with strong notes of coffee and chocolate.  I've got some on order.

What brands of espresso powder do you use, and for what purpose?  Since it's now clear to me that all brands are not "about the same," maybe there are other brands that are also superior to supermarket espresso powder.

... Shel

I use King Arthur's Expresso Powder with almost anything chocolate.  But do like the different size options of the Spice House product.  They have a retail store sort of local to me, will have to give that a try.

I use King Arthur's Expresso Powder with almost anything chocolate.  But do like the different size options of the Spice House product.  They have a retail store sort of local to me, will have to give that a try.

If you do try it and make a comparison, please let us know what you think.  Thanks!

... Shel