• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

'Off' flavor in cooked potatoes

borgr

Huiray -

Leftover potatoes actually have some health benefits in terms of the gut microbiota. Some of the starches get retrograded to resistant starch (RS3) which the gut bugs like. There are a lot of people using this fact for this and other foods. Here is a sample:

http://freetheanimal.com/2014/06/refining-resistant-content.html

There is some discussion of maximizing this effect by various cooking methods like sous vide. I would imagine that this would change the taste and texture of leftover potatoes, which I also tend to favor.

But green potatoes don't taste good, whether they are healthful for consumption or not.  In fact they taste vile.  (Myself, I went out and bought granny smith today.)

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Huiray -

Leftover potatoes actually have some health benefits in terms of the gut microbiota. Some of the starches get retrograded to resistant starch (RS3) which the gut bugs like. There are a lot of people using this fact for this and other foods. Here is a sample:

http://freetheanimal.com/2014/06/refining-resistant-content.html

There is some discussion of maximizing this effect by various cooking methods like sous vide. I would imagine that this would change the taste and texture of leftover potatoes, which I also tend to favor.

Interesting article, thanks.  Glad I'm not the only one who "prefers" leftover potatoes, heh.  :-)

Interesting article, thanks.  Glad I'm not the only one who "prefers" leftover potatoes, heh.  :-)

Sometimes I boil extra potatoes just so I can make pan-fries the next day. Does that count?   :smile:

Also, I just bought some German Butter potatoes from the local farm, they keep their shape quite well, which I like and makes it easier to use them as leftovers.