• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Midori - what's next

MagicCocktails

I'm a big fan of the well known melon liquer called Midori. I like the melon aroma of it and also the bright green color gives it a nice flair. I tried some well known cocktail made of it: the melon ball (vodka, pineapple juice and midori), the melon state ball (a variant with orange juice) and the illusions cocktail (midori, vodka, orange juice, blue curaçao and malibu). But now i'am looking for something different.

Does anyone has some good ideas or advice for new and not so known Midori based cocktails?

Stijn - Co-Founder of CocktailsAndShots

Check it out on http://www.cocktailsandshots.com

Upload your recipe and we'll promote your website automatically

You might just want to think of it as a sweet fruit-ish flavored syrup and start using it in place of other sweet fruity syrups in recipes that call for them... See Cointreau or Triple Sec or St Germain or any other sweetened liqueur called for in recipe, sub in the Midori and you get all the dilution and sweetening the recipe expects, but with a different fruit.  Tweak on from there if the result is too sweet or not sweet enough.

• Like 1

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

Okay, partially in apology for my share of the snark above, I went and made one of those drinks in FrogPrincesse's link. 

CUGFW3Zl.jpg

Mambo Italiano
30ml Midori
20ml Cynar
10ml Balsamic vinegar
15ml Orange juice
Splash of Lemon juice
5 large Basil leaves

Lightly crush the basil in a shaker then add ice and the remaining ingredients. Shake well and double-strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with a fresh sprig of basil.

To be honest, this is pretty drinkable. The Cynar and especially the vinegar are powerful enough to stand up to the syrupy Midori. And their brown color largely neutralizes the radioactive green, except at the shallow edges of the drink, so this doesn't look like an embarrassing cocktail to be sipping.
All that said, while this recipe makes an acceptable cocktail, I actually think it would make an even better salad dressing...

Edited by Craig E (log)
  • Like 1

I also like Midori + Mozart Liqueur + Milk (1+1/2+1)

Stir and pour over ice. .....life will never be the same again ;)

I've never considered adding milk to a cocktail, but indeed it could have a milder effect on the Midori. That would be ideal for those who want to mask the flavour a little bid. But if that's the case they shouldn't be drinking Midori in the first place!

To be honest, this is pretty drinkable. The Cynar and especially the vinegar are powerful enough to stand up to the syrupy Midori. And their brown color largely neutralizes the radioactive green, except at the shallow edges of the drink, so this doesn't look like an embarrassing cocktail to be sipping.

All that said, while this recipe makes an acceptable cocktail, I actually think it would make an even better salad dressing...

Do you mind us putting the recipe on our site? We'll let the people be the judge of it and we'll try it also of course.

Thanks to this thread I've learned that Midori's launch party was held as Studio 54. So now we can add "killing disco" to Suntory's crimes. 

• Like 1

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937