• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Batching cocktails with juice

Hassouni

So I've heard in numerous places that batched cocktails really work best with cocktails one would traditionally stir - clear-ish ingredients that don't require the aggressive mixing that shaking provides.

However, can one successfully batch sours and other cocktails made with (mostly) citrus? Do they need to be kept refrigerated? Will they separate? Anything else to be aware of?

How far in advance are you thinking? I've pre-batched cocktails with citrus in the morning and served them in the evening (I kept them in the fridge until I was ready to serve them). Fish House Punch can be pre-batched and kept pretty much forever (refrigerated). But for regular cocktails, if I had to go longer than 24 hours, I would pre-batch the whole thing without citrus, and add the citrus at the last minute, so it does not degrade in the drink.

Nah, it'd all be done the day of serving.

I'm curious about the actual mixing in the bottle. Does anything settle out? If I pour into a shaker full of ice, will it be fairly homogenous if the bottle is simply swirled a bit before pouring?

Edited by Hassouni (log)

I often batch without citrus for relatively smaller volumes then add it in at the end. some funny things can happen when they sit for a while at an elevated alcohol content but its really nothing a little agitation can't fix.

the only place to go from there is pressure de-aeration of the citrus with tap caps or my champagne bottle manifold but its a commitment, though invaluable at massive volume in case you ever get invited to make drinks for a stadium.

flip top growlers are great. when you are in someone else's space they are really the best. big size and the caps can't get lost. I also swear by half gallon canning jars which are graduated and turn into a great shaker and fit those smallish two prong strainers. best tool for making eight rounds at a time.

abstract expressionist beverage compounder

creator of acquired tastes

bostonapothecary.com

I often batch without citrus for relatively smaller volumes then add it in at the end. some funny things can happen when they sit for a while at an elevated alcohol content but its really nothing a little agitation can't fix.

the only place to go from there is pressure de-aeration of the citrus with tap caps or my champagne bottle manifold but its a commitment, though invaluable at massive volume in case you ever get invited to make drinks for a stadium.

flip top growlers are great. when you are in someone else's space they are really the best. big size and the caps can't get lost. I also swear by half gallon canning jars which are graduated and turn into a great shaker and fit those smallish two prong strainers. best tool for making eight rounds at a time.

Was thinking about doing the citrus to order, and I have a bunch of those half gallon mason jars - they're great!