• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beeer Basics...How much can you drink?

awbrig

I go to a friend's house down the street and on the water every 4th of July. That is the place I drink more beer at any one time than I do all year. I will bring sausage and peppers and probably some fried chicken this year. This year, because you asked the question and because I am curious as well, I have decided to ask my accomplice (this just works out so well!) to count how many beers I have before deciding to leave. This way all I have to do is hand her the empty cup and the rest is history. This is the way reasearch should be done!

I get to the point that I just can't drink another beer!

Usually that is after the fireworks and I'm ready to go home anyway.

There was also a drinking game where you had to drink a shot (two ounces) of beer every minute.  That doesn't sound like much until you realize that you are drinking a can of beer every six minutes, or ten cans per hour.  It was an endurance game and most conked out after two hours (20 cans) of beer.

I think we called this a power hour in college.

johnjohn

ahh.... the hundred club (shot a minute for 100 minutes). the highlight of any winnebago road trip. you didn't want to be driving next to the 'bago when the 100 club was in progress, mm-hmm. :blink:

Funny, this was a brief discussion at Table one at the NJ egullet dinner last nite..I drink beer because  I can't comfortably drink enough to get a buzz...so on a night when I have to drive, one or two makes me feel "all fulled up", and I don't need to concern myself with impairment.

and i'm said i'd use this approach.

"really officer, i'm fine. i've just been drinking beer all night. didn't touch a drop of wine!" :biggrin:

Edited by tommy (log)

I say building a tolerance sucks. I tend to hit my budget capacity before anything else. Would far rather acquire a buzz quicky and cheaply.

Had a friend in college whose theory was that a lot of people got sick not from the alcohol but just from excess amounts of liquid in their system.

Devils. Pah. Pegged the Smythe again.