• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beeer Basics...How much can you drink?

awbrig

I havent seen this question here but am curious how much beer people, from across the world, can handle. I understand it has a lot to do with what kind of brew, what you ate that evening and other circumstances but this should get the ball rolling... :smile:

Edited by awbrig (log)

Good question - back when I was in college (all of 2 years ago), I tended to drink 2-3 bottles at a time, when I did drink. Now, I'll have at most, 2 bottles (of roughly 4% ABV). I've got a pretty low tolerance, and I'm semi-dieting, so there's not really much reason for me to have more.

"Long live democracy, free speech and the '69 Mets; all improbable, glorious miracles that I have always believed in."

I think Old Milwaukee's Best Light must have less alcohol than normal beer, because I once drank a case (24 cans) of it before I went out for the night in college.

Spent an awful lot of my night in the men's pisser that time.

There was also a drinking game where you had to drink a shot (two ounces) of beer every minute. That doesn't sound like much until you realize that you are drinking a can of beer every six minutes, or ten cans per hour. It was an endurance game and most conked out after two hours (20 cans) of beer.

I am glad those days are over.

Now, I rarely drink beer at all. Bourbon or wine for me.

Edited by ron johnson (log)

depending on other factors, i find that i can drink as much beer as i want and still function. it's almost as though beer doesn't have the same effect on me as it once did. this might be because it takes so long for me to drink a beer, as i generally don't completely enjoy the flavor. however, if wine (or god forbid, margaritas) is introduced, the effect is much different.

all bets are off for beer not providing a sizable buzz, however, when live music is involved. when watching a band, i notice that i drink much more quickly. i'm not sure why this is.

that shot a minute thing that ron mentions was a *very* effective way of getting buzzed in college. :wacko: and after college. :wacko::wacko:

of course, i stopped drinking a month ago, so i'm not sure what effect all of this would have on me now.

Edited by tommy (log)

I am told that for a couple of years I didn't stop drinking beer, which explains the state of my automobile and that mysterious broken nose.

My opinion, and perhaps foundation, pretty much mirrors that of tommy. Excepting that not wine but vodka kindles my doppleganger.

Rice pie is nice.

You drank more.  I was almost monastical in my restraint

As I recall, the only people who can claim restraint were Macrosan, Scott and Samantha, as they had the good sense to leave before things went pear-shaped. You seemed to keep up with the rest of us, Simon... :hmmm:

depending on other factors, i find that i can drink as much beer as i want and still function.  it's almost as though beer doesn't have the same effect on me as it once did.

True, dat!

Perhaps it's because I tend to drink beer with food and I get full sooner as a result.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

There was also a drinking game where you had to drink a shot (two ounces) of beer every minute.  That doesn't sound like much until you realize that you are drinking a can of beer every six minutes, or ten cans per hour.  It was an endurance game and most conked out after two hours (20 cans) of beer.

I think we called this a power hour in college.

johnjohn

Perhaps it's because I tend to drink beer with food and I get full sooner as a result.

I think beer should be consumed on an empty stomach. While it does go nice with certain foods, I love to have beer in the afternoon *before* dinner.

I usually will have 2 of the micro-variety, so, higher alcohol. This imparts a pleasant buzz. 3 is usually too many. the buzz goes downhill and the headache starts :-/

I'm a cheap date :raz:

Born Free, Now Expensive

• 4 weeks later...
Once had 52 Americans (beer of da homeless) in college, 5pm-2am.  Was and is da Pi Lamda Pi record.

Wow. Can I ask how many purges occurred in same time period? :wacko:

I'm your only friend

I'm not your only friend

But I'm a little glowing friend

But really I'm not actually your friend

But I am

NeroW and I agree with Tommy, inasmuch as drinking all the beer you gd want and still being semi-sober goes... we tend to throw down those cups like madmen...

But; that's just us....

:wacko: (not that this in any way represents the two of us...ever....hm hoom)

"There is no worse taste in the mouth than chocolate and cigarettes. Second would be tuna and peppermint. I've combined everything, so I know."

--Augusten Burroughs

I believe this is a question best asked to beer drinking professionals. Everyone knows one. They can usually be found hanging around various places 24/7 because they don't worry about things like jobs or eating or looking after thier families just that never ending quest for copious amounts of beer.

I'm not sure this is a good E gullet question.

BTW. If my only reson for drinking was to get wasted then Moosehead would be my favorite as well!

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

• 3 months later...

Funny, this was a brief discussion at Table one at the NJ egullet dinner last nite..I drink beer because I can't comfortably drink enough to get a buzz...so on a night when I have to drive, one or two makes me feel "all fulled up", and I don't need to concern myself with impairment.