• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Food Writing 2014

gfron1

Yesterday I learned that an article written about me for Gastronomica by Amy Gentry was selected for Best Food Writing 2014.  The article is called Seven Bald Men and a Kumquat Tree.  Very fun!  

There are regularly eGers in that publication - who else is in there that we know?

Edited by gfron1 (log)
  • Like 4

Gastronomica doesn't allow its material to be read without permission, so not available online.  I wish it was because that was also the first issue that they allowed pictures, which I think they have done away with again

My copy of the book was pre-ordered and should arrive next week.  Now I am looking forward to it even more.  The annual one is what I keep in the truck so I always have great reading material when waiting on the husband to finish his seemingly endless errands at the hardware store.  Perfect timing too as I am almost done with the 2013 one.  Many congratulations on being included!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Truly fascinating. I knew bits and pieces about your story and the story of the Curious Kumquat but this brings it all together with a semblance of coherence that was missing. I think of you often when I whine about my own kitchen and see in my mind's eye you running a restaurant on far less than what I have to make simple meals mostly for myself!

Edited to fix the spelling of kumquat

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

yes, people would love to read this story along with the cookbook. Or reading the story could lead them to the cookbook. Certainly it should lead some new visitors to your restaurant.   :smile:

We are going to be in Tucson sometime in November and will be there for a few months or so. It's only a 3 hour drive to Silver City, NM! We know at least a few Tucson couples who would be very interested in the food you serve. I'll try and organize a group visit maybe. 

I have no idea if using that story is doable since the author has/had rights, Gastronomica has/had rights, and now the publisher of BFW14 has rights. And FauxPas, we should PM because I'm doing a couple of pop-up nights in Tucson very soon, although Silver is a great place to visit.

• Like 1

As Anna notes this gives a great perspective. Hopefully it can be integrated into the book marketing. 

I had really poo pood the idea yesterday but woke up with a new perspective. Of course I should ask if I can use the article - not sure who has final rights at this point, but if I can use it I can already see the sticker on the front of the book "Best Food Writing 2014 Essay Included." And, since I don't have a publisher locked in yet here's a foot in the door with the publisher of BFW to talk about my book.