• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Myers's Rum

lindag

I stumbled across a bottle of Meyer's Rum in the liquor cabinet and made myself a Mai Tai; hadn't had one of these list the last trip to Maui.  I love a good Mai Tai but I'm wondering what else I can make with this rum?  I love the taste.  Is there a simple cocktail I can make with it; one that doesn't take a half dozen exotic ingredients?  I also saw a bottle of Parrot Bay Rumin there, that really smells good!

I add it to whipped cream, along with brown sugar, as my required topping for Key Lime Pie.

• Like 1

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Meyer's is made for daiquiris

I would not say that at all, unless you like weird, dark, funky-tasting daiquiris, but then that's not really a daiquiri anymore.

Use it any time you see a recipe where "dark rum" or "Jamaican rum" is called for.

You might try it in a Brooklynite, a great cocktail made with Jamaican rum, lime, and honey syrup, in your favorite ratio for sours (4:1:1 is often given as a ratio for this one especially)

• Like 1

Must be the Midori.

:laugh: I think you just made my day 

rotuts, my daiquiris come out pretty close to white.

Also, try making yours with WNOP if you think it's wussy  :smile:

I like it as a float in a Mai Tai

or in a Jungle Bird:

http://www.imbibemagazine.com/Jungle-Bird-Recipe

A tropically inspired 1970s sipper from the Aviary bar in Kuala Lumpur, this adaptation combines a delicious mix of dark rum, Campari and fruit juices.

1 1/2 oz. blackstrap rum
3/4 oz. Campari
1/2 oz. fresh lime juice
1/2 oz. simple syrup (1:1)
1 1/2 oz. pineapple juice
Ice cubes and crushed ice
Tools:
Glass: Old Fashioned

Combine ingredients in a shaker with ice cubes and strain into an Old Fashioned glass filled with crushed ice.

Bananas Foster

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Myers is my favorite rum for baking. The flavor is assertive enough to not get lost and it seems to work well in my recipes, and it's not prohibitively expensive.

• Like 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

I've been meaning to try this out:

by Rafa García Febles, NYC.
1 oz Bitters, Angostura
3/4 oz Dark rum
3/4 oz Ginger syrup (spicy)
3/4 oz Lime juice

Shake, strain, up.

--
Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community
The ginger syrup would take some arranging, but the ingredient list isn't too intricate otherwise.
  • Like 1

I would not say that at all, unless you like weird, dark, funky-tasting daiquiris, but then that's not really a daiquiri anymore.

Hey, don't knock it.  I did come across a printed recipe once that was called simply "Jamaican Daiquiri" and was nothing more than what it sounds like.  I did a "huh, never thought of doing that."  So I made one.  It was amazing.  Hmmm, my wife just bought some limes yesterday, and I've got Myers and Appleton Reserve at home . . .

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

According to the Good Sirs at Haus Alpenz, Smith & Cross makes a Jamaican daiquiri - it's a good, powerful, and intense drink, but honestly, to me a daiquiri should be like a good, cold, clean hit akin to alcoholic liquid nitrogen, bracing and tart, with subtle molasses notes playing nicely with the lime, and VERY dry.

I've no doubt Myer's plays well with lime and sugar (what rum doesn't?? cf. Potions of the Caribbean) but it's not what I'd make a daiquiri with.

• Like 1

It's a lovely quite cool day here today.  I felt the need for some hot spiced cider!  Got some fresh cider at the grocery and mixed some up just so I could have a nice hot drink and use my Myer's Rum.  Hmmmm.  That wasn't quite the taste I was looking for.  I saved the rest of the spiced cider and tomorrow, when it's going to be even colder, I'll try it again but this time I'll not use the Myer's but I'll use either cognac or rye whiskey or brandy.  I'll see which combination is best.  Hot drinks this time of year are so nice.

Use it any time you see a recipe where "dark rum" or "Jamaican rum" is called for.

You might try it in a Brooklynite, a great cocktail made with Jamaican rum, lime, and honey syrup, in your favorite ratio for sours (4:1:1 is often given as a ratio for this one especially)

Dark and Stormy (unless the Goslings lawyers are around)

Dark rum

Ginger beer

wedge of lime

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Finally, a Spirits thread that I can relate to since my favorites are whiskey ( any single malt or Jack Danials) and dark rum. I am glad to see that dark rum can be used with chocolate. Can anyone give me more info on this?

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

Not to get all political, but in re myer's over gosling's, the former is diageo and the latter independent. I'm not fond of supporting the lowest-common-denominator multinational spirits conglomerates, though diageo is not the absolute worst (and grupo Campari is awesome!)