• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Falling Back on Island Time

Anna N

So it is that time of year again. Kerry and I are heading north to Manitoulin Island for just under three weeks. Currently we are sitting in a driving rain storm in the car waiting to board the ferry across to the island. Perhaps we will even watch the safety videos they show as the storm is supposed to hit its peak just as we get underway. We picked up lunch from a café in Tobermory. We will post pictures when we arrive in Little Current.

image.jpg

The boat you see through the windshield is a United States Geological Survey vessel, Sturgeon. We hope you will join us once again.

• Like 10

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I'm here...part of the usual bunch which follows your adventures up there.  :smile:   We've got to get up to Manitoulin one of these days.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

image.jpg

So we are on board. This is the cafeteria deck. So something I have never seen on the ferry before there are sick bags everywhere. I grabbed two.

Edited to change six to sick.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

About one hour and 45 minutes give or take.

My 2004 eG Blog

So we are safely across and on (sorta) dry land. Rain still falls. For a sailor like Kerry the trip was a piece of cake but for a landlubber like me..... The crew are great and I was helped to stumble to the head by one of them and brought safely back to my seat by Kerry. Some of the swells really pounded the ferry. No need for the bags though! Now an hour or so drive from South Baymouth where the ferry docks to the town house in Little Current. Glad to see some of you are embarking on this adventure with us.

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

You Bet !

I also Bet that the Line in the Snack Food  // Dinning Area  was Quite Short for some Bubbley ( SP ? ) Squeaky

sizzling  Hot Fat

Poutine !

a missed opportunity

in my view

:wacko:  

• Like 1

So here are some pictures for you.

image.jpg

Kerry's lunch, poutine

image.jpg

My lunch, hot hamburger

The less said about either the better

image.jpg

The dining room table upon our arrival.

image.jpg

Ditto the coffee table

image.jpg

And the freezer

image.jpg

Refrigerator

image.jpg

And kitchen counters.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

And my first misadventure which had us both roaring with laughter and Kerry suggesting that I belong with the slow learners. These small tables provide us with our dining surface since the dining room table will no longer be available, trust me. So I went to put them together. Not for the life of me could I understand why this one would not stand up! And this is before my cocktail.

image.jpg

• Like 11

My 2004 eG Blog

That place looks like a model house in your pictures!  Anna, thanks for the laugh about the tables.  You can blame it on residual seawobbliness if you like.   :wink:

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

So on our way to get groceries Kerry went scrumping. For those not familiar with the term to scrump is to steal fruit from the garden or orchard particularly apples. Technically I suppose these were windfalls but only because she couldn't reach the ones on the tree.

We will taste test them and if they pass muster return for more taking a ladder! They will then make an appearance in some something baked or cooked.

image.jpg

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

Just back from our first grocery shop for necessities - 

DSCN3340.jpg

DSCN3342.jpg

Dinner tonight will be chicken thighs from the steam oven and corn from the nuke.  

We looked at steak in the Valumart - they must have pulled out a micrometer to size them for cutting - they were much less than half an inch thick.  Quickfry my ass - quick cremate!

DSCN3344.jpg

One small miscalculation - apparently we used up the rest of the Chase Elderflower this summer and forgot to remind ourselves that we needed St Germain.  So all we had was about an ounce in this little bottle.  One cocktail shared - we shall have to make something else after dinner.  

I prefer to think of it as liberating - rather than scrumping.

• Like 2

Kerry and Anna ... I so enjoy your trips to Manitoulin. Thank you for all the wonderful posts/pictures and adventures you have taken me on over the years during your time up there. Hope the weather clears up and is delightful for your stay this time. And I pray that Kerry won't have nasty midnight calls and sudden medevac flights to Sudbury - I hate it when she misses dinner and her cocktail. Glad you made it there safely despite the rocky boat trip.

What freeze-dried stuff did you bring along to savour? The tomatoes? Okra? Or just fruit for chocolate enrobing or snacking?

• Like 2