• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Falling Back on Island Time

Anna N

Such a wonderful window into a time with good cooking, descriptions and photos of the local area and foods.

Thanks so much for allowing us into your island adventures.

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Frost on your windows there and it's sunny and 16 C here today. Didn't even get cold enough for frost last night. Have a safe trip home.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

It's actually beautifully warm out there right now - I didn't need a coat when I went out to drop goodies at the hospital.  Still not sure I want to move things that shouldn't be refrigerated into the car until the am.

DSCN3636.jpg

So I put the fixings for a Little Italy with bourbon in a mason jar before I packed up the booze.  Forgot to leave out picks - so watch out for your eyes with the 10 inch long skewers.  

Dinner?  Well let's see - there are some potato chips, some kimchi, eggs and cheese in the fridge, remains of the ice cream...

• Like 5

attachicon.gifDSCN3415.jpg

Methode Rotuts - look at those tiny little bubbles.   Anna's so pissed she can barely stand.  

Good, isn't it?

Kerry, if you or Anna can remember...did you make your methode rotuts in an iSi?  And if so, did you depressurize and decant?  Or did you just serve as one would serve whipped cream?  I have found that if one expresses directly into a glass there is a head of foam that quickly subsides, at which point one is left with the lovely little bubbles.  Plus, the remaining wine remains in a non-oxygen atmosphere and does not lose carbonation.

I am ready to continue my experiments again, as tonight I took delivery of two more one liter pressure flasks and many, many cylinders.  It is so very frustrating to crave a glass of methode rotuts only to find one's iSi is full of blueberry pancake batter.

Edit:  sorry, never mind, I see from the picture yours is probably a purefizz.  Anyway, I like iSi.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Well I am already awake and anxious to hit the road. It's always nice to get away but also nice to go home. Most of the packing is done and the car is well on its way to being loaded. No point in leaving before daylight as we don't want to hit any wild life.

I know I can speak for both of us when I say how much we appreciate your participation in our wee adventures. It just wouldn't be the same without you.

We'll post our adventures on the way home as we always do.

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Good, isn't it?

Kerry, if you or Anna can remember...did you make your methode rotuts in an iSi?  And if so, did you depressurize and decant?  Or did you just serve as one would serve whipped cream?  I have found that if one expresses directly into a glass there is a head of foam that quickly subsides, at which point one is left with the lovely little bubbles.  Plus, the remaining wine remains in a non-oxygen atmosphere and does not lose carbonation.

I am ready to continue my experiments again, as tonight I took delivery of two more one liter pressure flasks and many, many cylinders.  It is so very frustrating to crave a glass of methode rotuts only to find one's iSi is full of blueberry pancake batter.

Edit:  sorry, never mind, I see from the picture yours is probably a purefizz.  Anyway, I like iSi.

Indeed we invested in the Purefizz.  I do have a shitload of Isi's and Isi knockoffs at home.  Only one is stainless.

• Like 1

So we headed out this am about 8:20.  It was lovely and sunny when we left the island - as we came down the hill in Espanola with a cop on our tail we drove right into thick fog.  So thick that I didn't see the stop light until I was under it - fortunately it was green!

DSCN3637.jpg

Decided a stop for a quick breakfast that could be eaten while driving was in order.

DSCN3638.jpg

Bacon and egg McMuffin and hash browns for me.

DSCN3639.jpg

Sausage and egg and hash browns for Anna.  

So I get home - hubby and child have been eating tuna fish sandwiches or yogurt for most meals since they ran out of the food I left for them.   But they are watching Gordon Ramsey and Jamie Oliver teaching basic cooking techniques.  Hubby says "there are a whole bunch of things Jamie isn't showing" "one of the shots the stems are on the tomatoes, the next their gone - he doesn't show removing them" "no way you could make that in 15 minutes when you don't have all the tools and pans he has in his kitchen".  Always wonder when he watches these shows why he doesn't show any interest in cooking!

• Like 5

So I get home - hubby and child have been eating tuna fish sandwiches or yogurt for most meals since they ran out of the food I left for them.   But they are watching Gordon Ramsey and Jamie Oliver teaching basic cooking techniques.  Hubby says "there are a whole bunch of things Jamie isn't showing" "one of the shots the stems are on the tomatoes, the next their gone - he doesn't show removing them" "no way you could make that in 15 minutes when you don't have all the tools and pans he has in his kitchen".  Always wonder when he watches these shows why he doesn't show any interest in cooking!

Armchair chef. All the fun, no mess!

• Like 3

No photos but we did stop in Parry Sound where we found a Thrift store. I found a couple of food related books. Coming down the 400 Highway we stopped at Tim Horton's for Ice Caps for both of us and an everything bagel with cream cheese for Kerry.

Glad to be home where I am finally warming up (I had opened a couple of windows slightly when we left and the temperature when we got in was 17°C!)

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Has he checked your kitchen, Kerry? I would bet you DO have all the tools and pans those cooks have (although probably not all the sous-chefs and other helpers lurking behind the scenes).

Glad to hear you both got home safely. Did the fog dissipate eventually?

Edited by Deryn (log)

Fog was gone when we got to the other side of Espanola - just past the paper mill.

I certainly have no shortage of pans and tools - though I'm more inclined to avoid using them all at the same time!  Likely because I don't have all those people behind the scenes to clean up after me.

He did have what looked like a Miele steam oven behind him that he was using to steam some eggplant - don't have one of those in my house - only when I'm up north!

I know someone who has a Miele steam oven and she says it is her most used kitchen appliance, particularly good for vegetables.

Sometimes I'm glad I live in an apartment.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou