• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Falling Back on Island Time

Anna N

WoW

that bad ?

noting else around ?

you may have not had Power

OK

Us Here have had a Befert day w little New From the island.

Ah but think about it as a scientific experiment in the making! What better way to test the mettle of the Steam Boy than to see how it does re-heating the Colonel's chicken with its 11 secret spices!

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Also wondering about the Fuji apples - isn't that rather like taking coal to Newcastle? (given your abundance of freshly picked apples)   :raz:

My thought exactly - but the thing I want to make demands Fujis.

• Like 1

Is that Made in Canada Hawkins Cheezies???!!!!  :wub:

I love that Castello Danish Blue Cheese, it's a staple for me. And I really like those Campbell's Broths, which surprised me when I first tried them. I get the No Salt Added ones and use them quite often. Does anyone know if they are available in the US? The last time I was in the US for a while, I took some down with me. 

Yes it is!

• Like 1

Is that Made in Canada Hawkins Cheezies???!!!!  :wub:

I love that Castello Danish Blue Cheese, it's a staple for me. And I really like those Campbell's Broths, which surprised me when I first tried them. I get the No Salt Added ones and use them quite often. Does anyone know if they are available in the US? The last time I was in the US for a while, I took some down with me.

Yes, Castello because it is widely available and relatively inexpensive. Not my top pick of blues but adequate for many applications. The "no salt added" broth was not available today but these were less than $2 a box. I like to keep an open box in the fridge and as it approaches the 14th day after opening I pour it into ice cube trays and freeze it.

• Like 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Rounds this morning - then off to the clinic.

DSCN3373.jpg

First use of the freeze dried cheese - rather interesting to have crunchy bits in a biscuit!

DSCN3358.jpg

There was a bowl of plums on the counter when we arrived - seemed a good opportunity to make the 'proper' version of the summer torte.  

• Like 4

Good morning. First things first:

image.jpg

I fed my very lively starter. Beginning today it gets fed twice daily with only white A/P flour. And this is when it is most at risk of dying. Who is thinking of sourdough starters at 8 pm?

Then I made breakfast:

image.jpg

Braunschweiger on toast with thinly sliced tomatoes.

I have an ambitious day planned beginning with Dorie Greenspan's Quiche Maraichere from Around My French Table. The dough for the crust has been chilling since I made it on Saturday. (I can't believe I'm making pastry.)

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

Didn't measure anything - one egg, squirt of dijon, juice of half a small (but juicy) lemon, squirt of olive oil, bunch of grape seed oil (maybe 3/4 of a cup?) - just plunked the immersion blender to the bottom and lifted when I could see white in the bottom.

I had to roll all my self-control and all my indignation up into a ball and tie it up so I did not go over there and shake Kerry. I follow the instructions precisely, measure meticulously and even so I am not always successful in making mayo this way. Kerry bungs everything into a beaker puts the immersion blender in there and voilà mayo! Life is not fair.

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

Scheduled Power Outages are a wonderful thing!  Each fall the hydro teams assemble for cable maintenance across the island and replace wires running through the forests and along long highway stretches.  They notify everyone and you make plans to spend the day without power.  Some hike, some do the tree trimming around the hydro wires that you have put off too long, lots of outdoor yardwork if it isn't raining and once I took a painting class for fall colours!

Most people leave the island for the day like Kerry did but the adventurous ones try to make meals without the use of hydro.  If you aren't blessed with a gas stove then you try making pancakes on the bar bq or on the wood stove.  It reminds everyone of how good you got it when the power is on. Since they started doing this the power outages in bad weather have been drastically reduced.

Kerry, there is or at least was a great little diner in Espanola called Roger Rabbits.  It is on one of the side streets and if I recall correctly it was the side road on the way to the Beer Store.  This diner is where all the paper mill workers go for breakfast and lunch and they made their own fresh bread on the premises.  It was always busy with the locals so if you get a chance to check it out it was worth the trip.  It closes around 2 or 3 in the afternoon. 

• Like 3

attachicon.gifDSCN3373.jpg

First use of the freeze dried cheese - rather interesting to have crunchy bits in a biscuit!

Crunchy?  Did you increase liquids or fats to compensate for the freeze dried cheese?     I imagine the crunchy cheese would make an awesome topping for a casserole :-) 

Crunchy?  Did you increase liquids or fats to compensate for the freeze dried cheese?     I imagine the crunchy cheese would make an awesome topping for a casserole :-) 

Didn't stay crunchy!  I did add a bit of extra moisture.

So Dorie's quiche almost didn't happen. The removable-bottom tart pan went to work with Kerry! When she came home between doing rounds and starting to see patients in the clinic we solved the problem with a porcelain quiche dish.

image.jpg

All the vegetables being sauteed.

image.jpg

Just out of the oven.

image.jpg

Lunch.

As usual I used a salad spinner to wash and dry the leeks and I peeled the celery because I hate the strings in my teeth.

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

Yesterday in Espanola Kerry found these little lamb chops so I have bagged them up and will sous vide them in time for dinner tonight.

image.jpg

Accompaniment will be sous vide Brussels sprouts with garlic and bacon. It is a form of competitive cooking. Kerry's brother and sister-in-law have begun to show an interest in sous vide cooking and they recently made these Brussels sprouts. They said they were very good so I feel compelled to try them out. Kerry brought up homemade bacon and we picked up a few sprouts yesterday.

For the BSO fans I reheated a piece of KFC chicken.

image.jpg

You will have to take my word for it that it was as crispy and juicy as the Colonel would have wanted. Sorry I see the picture is really blurry.

Edited to say that BSO should be CSO (Cuisinart steam oven).

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

"  BSO  "

?

:huh:

Sorry! CSO. Cuisinart steam oven

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

I thought cruciferous veggies gave off a gas when cooked - which would then inflate the bag and cause it to want to float (even more than when cooking normal veg) and also insulate the contents from the water bath.... Not 100% sure, but I seem to remember something like that.

• Like 1

attachicon.gifDSCN3373.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN3358.jpg

There was a bowl of plums on the counter when we arrived - seemed a good opportunity to make the 'proper' version of the summer torte.  

My favorite use for the little prune plums is Dorie Greenspan's recipe for Dimply Plum Cake. If you have plums to spare, I'd be interested in your comparison of the two. <nudge, nudge>

Anna, I too am a prime sourdough killer. When you figure out the secret to keeping a starter going without either going crazy or being completely overwhelmed by the sheer amount of starter you toss out, please share it with me!

• Like 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

I thought cruciferous veggies gave off a gas when cooked - which would then inflate the bag and cause it to want to float (even more than when cooking normal veg) and also insulate the contents from the water bath.... Not 100% sure, but I seem to remember something like that.

This will be one way to find out! It's not like we can send out for pizza you know!

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

I'll be interested to hear how the Brussels sprouts turn out. If I recall correctly MC says they are not suitable for sous vide.

And they might be right. On the other hand so might Kerry's brother and sister-in-law. If all else fails we will have three cocktails tonight!

Edited to put in missing words and take out things that didn't belong.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

My favorite use for the little prune plums is Dorie Greenspan's recipe for Dimply Plum Cake. If you have plums to spare, I'd be interested in your comparison of the two. <nudge, nudge>

Anna, I too am a prime sourdough killer. When you figure out the secret to keeping a starter going without either going crazy or being completely overwhelmed by the sheer amount of starter you toss out, please share it with me!

I was looking at Dorie's recipe for an almond plum tart. However, Kerry is putting them to good use. If more come our way I will look up the recipe you mention.

So for this starter recipe does not seem to call for copious amounts for which I am grateful.

My 2004 eG Blog