• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Death & Co: Modern Classic Cocktails"

FrogPrincesse

Sweet and Vicious (Alex Day) with Bulleit rye (Old Overholt was specified), Dolin dry vermouth, amaro Nonino, maple syrup, muddled apple. A bit on the sweet side indeed (even though I had reduced the maple syrup), but with the Granny Smith that I used there was a nice acidity to balance things out. It reminded me of some Calvados-based cocktails that I like.

As a side note, the muddled apple seemed to soak up the drink a bit, so it was a bit smaller than expected.

15421540671_d37ca7a344_z.jpg

Is this from the new book? Can't wait.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

Is this from the new book? Can't wait.

Yes it is. I skipped the introduction - the book is coming out in a few days. It's highly anticipated. Apparently they managed to get a $250,000 advance for it, with part of it redistributed to the employees.

Press: Harper's Bazaar, Town & Country.

There is a launch party on the 7th.

• Like 1

I'll be with some friends at the launch party if anyone cares to join. :smile: I informed my bosses weeks ago that I'm taking that night off (and probably the next one, just to be safe). The book is included in the ticket price. 

• Like 2

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

I'll be with some friends at the launch party if anyone cares to join. :smile: I informed my bosses weeks ago that I'm taking that night off (and probably the next one, just to be safe). The book is included in the ticket price. 

You're getting me a ticket, riiiight? Cos you know I'd be on the next bus up...

You're getting me a ticket, riiiight? Cos you know I'd be on the next bus up...

Sigh, he more or less did, too, and I can't make it. I think it's time to ditch DC....(Washington, that is)

Edited by Hassouni (log)

Dan can rest easy for now: by the time I left the party, they were out of copies of the book. I'll have to make a pilgrimage to D&C to pick my copy up (you're welcome to ditch DC and join, Chris). 

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

Got my copy yesterday too, on a cursory read seems like an invaluable addition to the cocktail book library. Only recipe I've made so far was their one for orgeat, came out really well in about a quarter of the (admittedly inactive) time of my usual process.

Having their entire drink index since day one is going to make the rest of this year pretty great ...

I'm not sure if I'm quite as excited as the dog.  Maybe I need a drink.

But the book is now on Amazon - very similar price for Kindle and hardcover, at least today.  I believe I'll indulge.

• Like 1

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

What, better than the Hawthorn Lounge?  Or Rafa's place, or Adam's, or yours?  Surely not!

​But I have indulged; Mr Amazon has it in hand as we speak.  I'll be particularly interested in the 'accelerated orgeat' referred to above.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

What, better than the Hawthorn Lounge?  Or Rafa's place, or Adam's, or yours?  Surely not!

​But I have indulged; Mr Amazon has it in hand as we speak.  I'll be particularly interested in the 'accelerated orgeat' referred to above.

I've been to mine, and Rafa's, and yes, Death & Co is better than those two, anyway!

(And Pegu Club, and PDT, and Pouring Ribbons, and Little Branch, and I can't remember where else)

((note: I am also very fond of Little Branch and to a lesser extent Pouring Ribbons))

If I need accelerated orgeat I'll pay feste for two day shipping.

Art of Drink's orgeat recipe is still my gold standard and is much faster than two days.

Edited by Hassouni (log)

OK, I'll splurge for overnight.  I seem to have gone through most of a large bottle in the last two weeks.  Fortunately I have two bottles in reserve.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I've been to mine, and Rafa's, and yes, Death & Co is better than those two, anyway!

(And Pegu Club, and PDT, and Pouring Ribbons, and Little Branch, and I can't remember where else)

((note: I am also very fond of Little Branch and to a lesser extent Pouring Ribbons))

Sadly, Death & Co didn't even make the Top 50. Granted, this type of list is highly subjective.

I would put Pouring Ribbons ahead of D&C, if only just, but it seems the drinking public at large disagrees.

Dead Rabbit trumps all.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com