• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Death & Co: Modern Classic Cocktails"

FrogPrincesse

Can't say for Deathy recipes, but here's a ton of Apricot Liqueur recipes. It is used quite frequently. If your tastes run toward the bitter and complex, the Averna Jim Jam is wonderful:

http://www.kindredcocktails.com/cocktail?summary=1&ingredient=Apricot%20liqueur&rating_average=4

that is a great drink! Just made a Yarm riff on the Jim Jam called Sooner or Later (bourbon, averna, apricot, lemon, bitters, soda) that is also splendid.

@AZBittersLab

AZBittersLab.com

From last weekend, a round of Green Flash(es) with Damoiseau rhum agricole from Guadeloupe, lemon juice, honey syrup, St. George absinthe, Louis Roederer Champagne brut.

I just love this cocktail. And I actually saw a hint of a green flash recently.

22335354695_7753536d6a_z.jpg

Its gin counterpart is great as well. North by Northwest (also by Brian Miller) made with Old Harbor San Miguel Southwestern gin, lemon juice, simple syrup, St. George absinthe, Louis Roederer Champagne brut. Elegant and crisp.

22132520258_bb7b7fb212_z.jpg

• Like 1

I always love your glassware, frog. 

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

There are a lot of things I forgot to post in this thread. I might have to make them again to refresh my memory!

This one I remember. Sling of Aphrodite (Joaquin Simo) with La Favorite rhum agricole amber (oops, grabbed the white by mistake), Clear Creek pear brandy (Etter's superlative aged pear eau-de-vie), Fuji apple juice (Joe's Kids), homemade cinnamon bark syrup.

If you are going to mess with rhum agricole, the result better be superior to the rhum itself! Joaquin let us down on that one. It is a bit like dumbed down agricole. Probably ok for his most timid clients who haven't been introduced to agricole... But yeah... Next!

18909290515_4a0bf829ba_z.jpg

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

Agreed and I've told her, but Jimi Hendrix fandom will do that. Great drink though.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

From last weekend, a round of Green Flash(es) with Damoiseau rhum agricole from Guadeloupe, lemon juice, honey syrup, St. George absinthe, Louis Roederer Champagne brut.

I just love this cocktail. And I actually saw a hint of a green flash recently.

22335354695_7753536d6a_z.jpg

Its gin counterpart is great as well. North by Northwest (also by Brian Miller) made with Old Harbor San Miguel Southwestern gin, lemon juice, simple syrup, St. George absinthe, Louis Roederer Champagne brut. Elegant and crisp.

22132520258_bb7b7fb212_z.jpg

Is there a good reference for this Green Flash recipe? Most I find seem to be some abomination of coconut rum, Midori and other specious ingredients!

The glass for the second cocktail looks like glasses you used to get (maybe you still can?) with a bottle of Perrier Jouet champagne!

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

Is there a good reference for this Green Flash recipe? Most I find seem to be some abomination of coconut rum, Midori and other specious ingredients!

The glass for the second cocktail looks like glasses you used to get (maybe you still can?) with a bottle of Perrier Jouet champagne!

Yes this is indeed a Perriet Jouet flute.

Green Flash (Brian Miller)

1.5 oz rhum JM 100-proof agricole blanc

0.25 oz Vieux Pontarlier absinthe

0.75 oz lemon juice

0.5 oz acacia honey syrup (2:1 by volume)

dry champagne

shake with ice (except the champagne), strain into a flute, top with champagne, garnish with a brandied cherry

• Like 2

0.75 oz lemon juice

dry champagne

shake with ice (except the champagne), strain into a flute, top with champagne, garnish with a brandied cherry

How big a flute? or approx ratio of shake to champ? The flutes from my grandfather are pretty tiny.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

0.75 oz lemon juice

dry champagne

Thanks! Just occurred to me that this is the Death & Co. book thread (Duh!) which of course I have and the cocktail is likely listed in there! :wacko:

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

Thanks! Just occurred to me that this is the Death & Co. book thread (Duh!) which of course I have and the cocktail is likely listed in there! :wacko:

Hahaha. Glad I could help! ;)

Here is Sade's Taboo (Jessica Gonzalez) made with Pierre Ferrand 1840 cognac (substituted for Hine H cognac), Lillet blanc (substituted for... Cocchi Americano), Martini Gran Lusso sweet vermouth (substituted for Dolin rouge), Boy Drinks World grapefruit bitters (substituted for Bittermens hopped grapefruit bitters). Grape-forward, lots of spices, pepper and some bitterness from the Gran Lusso. It's nice.

21936762034_794599612b_z.jpg

Last week I started a half-batch of the pecan-infused Buffalo Trace. I just made a Buffalo Soldier: a couple ounces of the flavoured bourbon with a quarter ounce of Demerara syrup. I think the seasoning applied to the nuts (salt, pepper and cayenne) makes it. Or, at least, it turns a very sweet drink into something I can drink.

pecan_zpsujrpoxdj.jpg

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

• 2 weeks later...

St. Matilda (Phil Ward) with Bosc pear, tequila Ocho plata, Etter vieille poire williams aged pear eau-de-vie, lemon juice, simple syrup.

This tequila is especially flavorful, it is like the rhum agricole of tequilas, and it didn't disappoint in this cocktail. Lovely vegetal notes throughout. Very well done. I suspect my version is dryer than the original since I used pear eau-de-vie instead of liqueur.

22873026332_bd4c7f28e5_z.jpg

• Like 1