• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Death & Co: Modern Classic Cocktails"

FrogPrincesse

Sforzando (Eryn Reece), a smoky and spicy Manhattan variation with Rittenhouse rye, Del Maguey Chichicapa mezcal (Vida mezcal), Benedictine, Dolin dry vermouth, Bittermens xocolatl mole bitters (The Bitter Truth for Bittermens).

15106162649_9cee927991_z.jpg\

It's the dry version of Stephen Cole's Racketeer (although that one guilds the lily by adding a touch of yellow Chartreuse, a spray of Laphroaig, and Peychaud's bitters).

I tried this one, also with Vida. 

The first sip boosted my confidence in my growing belief that smoky mezcals are just not for me.

But the second and subsequent sips I enjoyed without reservation. 

I've had a similar experience with Fernet-heavy drinks--the initial, unenjoyable sip forces an adjustment on my sense of taste, and then I really like the drink from there on out.

I stumbled across the Martica last night (Cognac, Appleton, Antica formula, maraschino liqueur, Angostura).

Delicious.  A really exotic flavour I can't describe.  The Appleton (I used 12 rather than the recipe's VX) was certainly there, but everything just blended into a fascinating whole.

Every time I think I must have picked all the really good ones out of the book, another one like this pops up.  Highly recommended.

• Like 1

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

I stumbled across the Martica last night (Cognac, Appleton, Antica formula, maraschino liqueur, Angostura).

Delicious.  A really exotic flavour I can't describe.  The Appleton (I used 12 rather than the recipe's VX) was certainly there, but everything just blended into a fascinating whole.

Every time I think I must have picked all the really good ones out of the book, another one like this pops up.  Highly recommended.

I've returned the book to the library.  Can you list the recipe?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I wonder how well a nice solid agave forward reposado tequila might work in the Coin Toss. Might have to give that a try. I think the yellow chartreuse would play well with it. The Kah 110 proof reposado might be just the thing.

Thus inspired, tonight's drink is a Coin Toss with Revolucion Anejo. Oh yes!

• Like 1

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

I've returned the book to the library.  Can you list the recipe?

Kindred now can.  And I also discover there's a Chocolate Martica, made my upping the Carpano a bit and subbing mole bitters for the Angostura.  Have to try that too.

• Like 1

My eG Foodblog

Kindred now can.  And I also discover there's a Chocolate Martica, made my upping the Carpano a bit and subbing mole bitters for the Angostura.  Have to try that too.

Enjoying a Martica as we speak.  Thanks, Leslie!

Edit:  I substituted PF 1840 and Appleton 12.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Rightly so (mine was also Appleton 12).

The Chocolate Martica, while very good, isn't quite up to the original, to our taste. But one must try both to decide.

My eG Foodblog

I look forward to your report! I am stuck at a party full of heathen vodka drinkers tonight and unless I bring them with me I won't have the necessary ingredients to whip one up.

Well, I was going to make one last night, but realized to my great horror that I was out of aged tequila...

So I ended up making the Coin Toss with Monkey Shoulder blended malt scotch whisky. It was very nice. Much less rich than the Rittenhouse version; super interesting still.

16148403684_a6444f8d22_z.jpg

I tried this one, also with Vida. 

The first sip boosted my confidence in my growing belief that smoky mezcals are just not for me.

But the second and subsequent sips I enjoyed without reservation. 

I've had a similar experience with Fernet-heavy drinks--the initial, unenjoyable sip forces an adjustment on my sense of taste, and then I really like the drink from there on out.

Soon you will find yourself craving mezcal or Fernet for no particular reason...

• Like 2

Well, I was going to make one last night, but realized to my great horror that I was out of aged tequila...

So I ended up making the Coin Toss with Monkey Shoulder blended malt scotch whisky. It was very nice. Much less rich than the Rittenhouse version; super interesting still.

Yes, we've enjoyed Monkey Shoulder Coin Tosses too.  But the anejo tequila one is definitely worth a try.

My eG Foodblog

Yes, we've enjoyed Monkey Shoulder Coin Tosses too.  But the anejo tequila one is definitely worth a try.

I hear you. But I was too tired to go to the store to buy tequila last night.

Last night I tried Brian Miller's Bay City Roller with Monkey Shoulder scotch, Averna, simple syrup, orange twist. Simple yet impactful.

16594924199_06a1522aef_z.jpg

Cynartown (Phil Ward) with Beefeater London dry gin, Dolin sweet vermouth, Cynar, brandied cherry. This one has ratios similar to a Martinez (2 / 0.75 / 0.25) with Cynar replacing the maraschino liqueur.

The ingredients are the same as the Cin Cyn (minus the orange bitters), but the Cynartown is lighter on the Cynar.

16065235077_0cfb271479_z.jpg

After the Bay City Roller, another one from the Sazerac variation section, Joaquín Simó's Latin Quarter

Vieux Pontarlier absinthe (St. George absinthe), Zacapa 23 rum (Havana Club añejo 7), cane sugar syrup (sirop de canne JM), house Peychaud's bitters (Peychaud's), Angostura bitters, Bittermens xocolatl mole bitters. A rum Sazerac which is just brilliant.

16582687627_bd44cc7daa_z.jpg

FP, if you're working your way through the Sazerac section, don't miss the Alembic.  We had it a couple of nights ago.  Very simple but definitely tasty.

My eG Foodblog

Dolly Dagger (Alex Day) with Smith & Cross Jamaican rum, Williams & Humbert dry sack medium sherry, lime juice, vanilla syrup. That one essentially tempered down the Smith & Cross with a load of sherry and a touch of vanilla. I think it's just a shame because S&C should never be tamed, and although the cocktail was well balanced, I could not get used to a swizzle that tasted like wine.

16641691470_d5dd46af09_z.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have the Lustau East India Solera sherry that the book calls for. I don't know if I can get it locally: my go-to place for booze stocks a few other Lustau products but not the Solera. A bit of research told me that it's a blend of oloroso and PX. I didn't have any oloroso on hand but I had some PX. I knew it'd be a different drink but I figured, hey, why not? I can see it working, I guess, but I'm tempted to cut the PX with something that'd inject the savoury note of oloroso. This just comes out super choclately, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. 

Are there any other sherries that blend oloroso and PX in the one bottle? I don't drink enough sherry to justify having a lot on hand.

EDIT

Is the stuff that's marketed as 'cream sherry' roughly similar to the East India solera?

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Howlin' at the Moon: a genever-based Old Fashioned jacked with a little creme de cacao. I think you'd like this one, haresfur.

Hadley's Tears: a two spirit base of Bols and Appleton V/X. Absinthe and Ristretto in supporting roles. It's interesting. I like it.

• Like 1

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

• 5 weeks later...

Arrack Strap (Brad Farran) with Van Oosten baravia arrack, Cruzan black strap rum,  Cocchi vermouth di Torino, Campari, demerara syrup, xocolatl & orange bitters.

Batavia arrack as the base - this is genius. Also I think it's my favorite use of black strap in a cocktail.

17294727145_ef4c423f25_z.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My pick for Cinco de Mayo earlier this week was Alex Day's Alta California with Siembra azul blanco tequila (Siete Leguas blanco tequila), Dolin white vermouth, yellow Chartreuse, cinnamon bark syrup (homemade). Crisp and bright like a peppery tequila martini.

17383864532_54e14f801c_z.jpg

• 1 month later...

One, One, One (Thomas Waugh) with Krogstad aquavit, Beefeater gin, Dolin white vermouth, Regan's orange bitters (no garnish).

A play on the Martini, with the caraway and anise notes from the aquavit shining through.

18537176969_be7952b1ce_z.jpg

Martini with Sipsmith London dry gin (not one of their recommended gins, but I like it in Martinis), Dolin dry vermouth, Death & Co orange bitters mix (aka Regan/Fee/Angostura orange), lemon twist, Death & Co ratios.

18633136679_8b9f445dca_z.jpg

• 2 months later...

Martica (Phil Ward) with Hine H cognac (Pierre Ferrand 1840), Appleton Eastate V/X Jamaican rum (Appleton 12), Carpano Antica sweet vermouth (Cocchi vermouth di Torino), Luxardo maraschino liqueur, Angostura bitters.

Rich and delicious.

20534155538_91ef307f84_z.jpg

Got my hands on some Amontadiilo sherry and tried out the Flor De Jerez. Was quite lovely, even though i used Appleton 12 rather than the Reserve called for, it doesnt seem to be available locally. It's quite raisin-y.