• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Challenge: Name 3 Little Things

gulfporter

1. Add powdered dried porcini mushrooms to dishes to up the umami.

2. Squeeze lemon over cooked broccoli for serving.

3. Use Maldon flaked sea salt in homemade butter. This allows you to reduce the overall salt content as the larger crystals and associated salty burst give the impression that there is more salt in there than there is.

• Like 2

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

Aloha,

Great question and good ideas.  Here are my three:

1.  grind dried mushrooms in blender to make a powder.  Store in a jar and add it to sauces, soups and stir fries.  Lasts a long time on the shelf. 

2.  grind dried Ancho chilies in a blender and use to make great chili.  Lasts a long time, too.

3.  when I have organic lemons and use the juice but don't need the zest at that time, I grate the zest and freeze it in a small container for later.  I do the same for grapefruit and oranges.

Carole Grogloth, Molokai, Hawaii

Edited by Carole Grogloth Hawaii (log)
  • Like 4

Carole Grogloth Molokai Hawaii

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to hear more about that one if you're willing to share.

Sorry I missed this until now......

"Sorting out and pre-pressure cooking connective tissue when sausage making (this is a new one and it makes an amazing difference!)"

When making breakfast sausage, as an example, I'll break down a pork butt into mostly lean meat, connective tissue (including fatty connective tissue) and fat.

I'll pressure cook the connective tissue rendering it tender and gelatinous....chill and grind with the rest. I'll also include any bone and add the stock to the sausage.

We've been very happy with the results.

I came up with the idea when someone on another forum was asking for advice on making a "porchetta" inspired sausage.

HTH

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!