• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grating nuts for flour

Franci

I used to have this old Bosch stand mixer with food processor and discs. The grating disc was absolutely brilliant to grate cheese, bread or nut flours.

Now I have a magimix. The grating disc is not sold in the US, so I bought one in Europe. The design of the Bosch and the Magimix is different. I realized only later that the problem with the Magimix is there is a gap between the disc and the bowl, so while the nuts are grating, pieces will fall from the sides. I have to sift...the sifted flour is perfect, but the rest which I have to process with the blade is not as good.

Now, I don't want to go out and buy another expensive tool and sometimes it's not worth the effort, prices of flours are almost the same as the nuts if you buy on line, but still I would like to have the option to be able to make my nuts flours.

I had one of those hand cheese grated long time ago and I used to make almond flour one year, never again! Too much effort. Maybe one of those hand cranked graters that you can fix to the table...that works well for the task and doesn't cost a lot?  Andie, maybe?

In the 1970's when I was in grad school there was a kind Swedish woman in the lab who translated her recipes for me and turned me on to nut flour cakes.

I used a hand cranked mouli grater which gave good results for the flour, but it was an awful lot of work.

The same informant shared the invaluable life-lesson to invite guests to your home only in winter after dark so you didn't have to clean.

My grater did not fix to anything except my hand.  I can't remember the last time I baked a cake of any kind.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou