• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Great Meals - Under $10

Sophie Cook

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to put together a collection of meals that you can cook for £5 ($10). 

I have my staple budget meals, but mainly consists of casseroles.

Does anyone have any favourite budget meals, which are possible to cook for under £5/$10.

Thanks!

email: sophie@cookscook.co.uk

twitter: cookscookuk instagram: cookscookuk

We do a fair amount of soup and salad meals and the cost is readily controlled by the soup's ingredient list.  Since you're thinking of a budget meal, how about hamburger soup?  Here's my go to recipe for that ...

Shel's Hamburger Soup

1-lb lean ground beef

2 large onions

3 cloves chopped garlic

1 diced potato

2 diced large carrot

1 1/2 stalks diced celery

1 large diced parsnip

1 large diced turnip

3 cups shredded cabbage

3 15 oz cans diced fire roasted tomatoes (with jalapeno optional)

2 qts water

1 quart chicken stock

12 peppercorns in cheesecloth

2 tsp oregano

2 tsp dried basil

3 bay leaves

1 tsp thyme

salt and pepper to taste

brown meat and onion, remove excess fat. Add and sauté garlic. Add remaining ingredients, simmer until done. Remove bay leaves.

... Shel

I would need to have a lot of things in my pantry/fridge/freezer to even be able to make hamburger soup for $10 where I come from these days. Lean ground beef alone can easily be $6.99 a pound and up lately. And, that is my first point (it depends on where you live as to the cost of ingredients). My second is a question - how many people is this $10 meal to feed? And does that number include tax?

Sophie - you may want to look for recipes Rachael Ray and other Food Network TV host(esses) have put out over the years under the banner of 'low cost' and 'less than $10' meals. Not all of them, as I recall, were casseroles. One could always 'deconstruct' a 'cheap' casserole as well - producing a meal with a 'twist' by separating components on the plate for the same price.  

This is approximately my course right now.   I'm in the USA, Appalachia,  where we were known for good food before the fast food

industry all but eliminated the small family restaurants where "Blue Plate Specials" were once a standard fare. 

But with the Internet, things are changing.   More and more people are developing the Net with vintage content now that we can find much of our heritage to replicate once again.

To give you some place to start with this question.

Go to Google and type in "OLD DINER MENUS"  and when the page comes up at the top click "IMAGES".   You will be able to see many old Menu's which will give you some ideas of things you could create and cost out such that you could be profitable serving them at $10.

I did this for you with the link below.  Now after clicking it look above the sample images to where the navigation menu says "Images".

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Old+Diner+Menus&spell=1 

You will have to use the interface of your browser to enlarge the type so that you can read those menus,  but you can get some

ideas from what was once offered.

Some of these menus represent Drive Inn Diners which were very much in the main stream here in the Post WW2 era until the 70's when the fast food shops began to dominate with their burgers, fries, and drinks.  Some of these were small family restaurants, others were the lunch counters at the "Dime Stores" (often called "Five and Dime's")   Some of these menus were even printed on the inside cover of book matches.   Even Tea Rooms offered menus targeted more towards the ladies who

chose more a female centric environment away from mixed company with working men during the lunch hour. 

You may come to realize how we are a different people nearly 70 years after WW2, both socially and with the conditioning of our appetites.

I'm meeting with great success offering this cuisine in the Historic Park my Cafe is located in.  Back then 'Short Order" cooks produced this fare.  Ironically, today, this Chef is doing it.and offering even better quality foods to his diners. The main thing I'm trying to do is use farm raised meat which is free ranged and purchased at local slaughter houses. Thus eliminating the Grocery Store chains from my supply lines as they offer feed lot meats.   Unless you've eaten pork, beef, or chicken from the farm and know the difference in flavor it will be difficult to appreciate these vintage menus and how satisfying those dishes they advertise would be to consume. .Much has changed since then with the supply of foods to restaurants.

I would need to have a lot of things in my pantry/fridge/freezer to even be able to make hamburger soup for $10 where I come from these days. Lean ground beef alone can easily be $6.99 a pound and up lately. And, that is my first point (it depends on where you live as to the cost of ingredients).

Indeed, you are correct.  But that might be the same situation with other $10.00 meals, like Rachael Ray, etc.

BTW, I don't know just what decent hamburger costs around here today (it's been about 2-years since making my hamburger soup recipe), but one can use alternative meat, like ground turkey or chicken, pork, etc. for that hamburger soup.  I'm off to the big Asian market in a while, and I'll check what prices are at their meat counter.

... Shel

Tj's sells a pound of 80/20 ground beef for 3.99.

ground turkey  ( 20 oz ) frequently goes on sale for 2.99 - 3.99  for those 20.

chicken  ( w bones ) in all shapes and types frequently goes for 99 cents a lbs.

I second the soup / salad concept.  Here is one of my favorite soups tight now that I adapted years ago from Cooking Light I think. I tweak it a bit every time I make it, but it is basically a black bean and vegetable soup with chipotle to give it a nice bit of spice. It can easily be vegetarian, or you could add some chicken to make it even more hearty. My favorite version:

Two slices bacon, diced

1 cup onions, diced

2-4 cloves garlic, minced

1 cup  bell pepper, diced

1 cup corn kernals

1 cup carrots, diced

1 cup zucchini, seeds removed, and diced

2 15oz cans black beans, drained and rinsed

2 15oz cans diced tomatoes

3-4 cups chicken stock

2 bay leaves

1 Tbsp toasted cumin seeds

1-2 chipotles in adobo, minced

Salt & Pepper to taste

-Cook bacon on low heat to render most of the fat, remove bacon, drain off all but three tablespoons fat.

-Sweat onions, then garlic in bacon fat on low until soft, then add bell peppers & carrots - saute 2-3 minutes

-Add remaining vegetables, tomatoes, black beans & seasonings.  Add stock to cover.  Simmer 20-30 minutes until all vegetables are tender and flavors meld.

• Like 1

In NYC: Shoprite supermarket -

Bananas $0.49 a lb (use instead of plantain)

Pasta $0.59 a lb

Broccoli rabe $0.99 a lb

Chicken leg quarters $0.49 a lb. (with cupon)

ice cream 48 oz $2.50 

You can do very well with just $5.00 per meal.

dcarch

I am sure one can feed a family of four for less than $10 somewhere (maybe even most places), but, unless I got a great deal on the meat - which does happen sometimes - I might have difficulty where I live. I have trouble feeding my dog for that amount every day here (though admittedly he is spoiled rotten and dinner for him includes one whole chicken, roasted and deboned, daily). In North Carolina I can buy him 2 days meals for $10. Here, unless chicken is on sale, I would be pushed to buy a single chicken. I also have to consider that it costs me $40-$50 dollars in gas (and 3 hours time) to drive to the first largish supermarket to take advantage of 'sales'. However, that said, a simple roast chicken dinner would definitely fall in the range of possibilities for a 'cheap dinner' anywhere but here I am sure.

Of course, there is always the ubiquitous 'beans and rice' type dinner which even I could fit into a limited budget. And homemade pizza could also fit the profile for a $10 dinner too most likely if one uses more expensive ingredients judiciously. A pork roast (in its natural cooked glory state or pulled) may also work. Pork seems to be reasonable here right now.

My initial post really was just trying to get Sophie to define who she wanted her meals to address (are these 'family type' meals or 'company coming' meals, and how many people will be fed?)

Edited by Deryn (log)

I have the same question as Deryn: how many people, and in what context? Sophie may even be looking for cafe foods to be served to customers, with $10 turning a profit.

My inexpensive meals - for family and friends, at home - tend to use meat as an accent rather than the focus. Pasta dishes (with pesto and chicken, for example) or stir-fries heavy with vegetables are two ways to keep the cost down and the quality up.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

My initial post really was just trying to get Sophie to define who she wanted her meals to address (are these 'family type' meals or 'company coming' meals, and how many people will be fed?)

I agree, I think it needs further definition in order to be accurate and useful. It reminds me of cookbooks that offer recipes for full, beautiful meals "in under ten minutes" and then the list of ingredients includes things like "1 cup diced onion" and "1/2 cup diced celery" without taking into account the time needed to prep those vegetables. Soups are always a good option for less expensive meals, but if you're adding fresh herbs I think your budget has just tipped in the wrong direction. What kind of pantry are you assuming? A recipe that calls for a quart of chicken stock is making an assumption that might be contrary to the purpose of the cookbook.

• Like 1

Do you NEED meat?  Or, do you need to have "significant amounts" of meat?

Try E/SE Asian type stir-fries where the meat is basically a condiment in the dish and vegetables are the star.  Pair that with some noodles or rice (cheap!).  Soup, stews, braises etc of course, just with the meat as only a small component.

Tofu, in its many, many forms.  No, I reject the misinformed notion that tofu takes only one form and is horrible. (hint: step away from the Western macrobiotic/vegan tofu dishes which *are* less attractive) Pair it with any number of other inexpensive ingredients.  Egg dishes, with vegetables.  Omelettes with various vegetables.  (Try bittergourd omelette)  Beans - how about green beans, long beans, as sautéed/stir-fried dishes, not just shelled beans in dishes such as given by others here.  One can get interesting beans from "ethnic" markets, if one has access to them, to cook as "whole beans".  All the preceding dishes furnish plenty of protein and taste.  

• Like 2

I'm a vegetarian and some meals can be very reasonable. True, you could blow your whole budget on fancy salad items, so, look for sales and buy what gives you a lot for the money, like carrots or cabbage. I like salad with almost every meal, and generally with a vegetarian meal, you can usually afford to serve one. Make your own dressing, the salad dressing aisle is where you waste the most money at the supermarket. Honestly, making things from scratch is the key to keeping within budget for this project.

Dry beans can be the center of some great meals, and they are the cheapest way to go -canned beans cost a lot more. Some bean meals:

Falafel

Red Beans & Rice

Curries (with and without veggies)

Enchiladas (vegetarian)

Burritos (vegetarian)

Bean soups, don't forget minestrone

Tofu is also a great meal maker. It can be used in many dishes from all over Asia. Some markets sell packages of prepared deep fried cubes, which are great in stir fry. Some markets also prepared baked tofu, which has a chewy texture and is great in American-Chinese recipes calling for meat like kung pao tofu, mu shu tofu, etc. -as well as stir fry. Tofu can also be frozen to create a spongy texture, which when ground up can make a nice lasagna filling, or used in recipes to make tofu balls, etc.

Making your own breads will save you a fortune. Both quick breads (biscuits, cornbread, beer bread, tortillas, crepes, etc.)  and yeasted bread (rolls, pitas, buns, sliced bread, etc.) will add a lot to a meal for very little money. I get 25lbs of bread flour at Costco for $8.75, and they sell a pound of yeast for $2.75 -that's a lot of bread at about 55 cents a loaf.

I buy rice in 10-25lb sacks at the asian market, you save a lot of money by buying in bulk. Their most expensive rice works out to being $1/lb. The ordinary stuff, say an everyday jasmine, is about 30 cents a pound. If your family will eat brown rice, obviously it's more nutritious.

One asian market which is not close to me, has outrageously cheap produce. When I go there, maybe twice a year, I pick up a supply of vegetables which will last (onions, shallots, carrots) plus I make sure that what we have for dinner that night uses fresh produce from them.

I guess a lot of the trick here is shopping carefully. Also, while it may take more time to make some things, be smart, have a plan and you can make extra and save time. Examples:

Make a slow cooker full of plain beans or garbanzos. Then make several dishes throughout the week. Bonus, freeze any extra beans and use like you would canned beans.

Make 2-4 times the dough you need, then refrigerate and on later days make: rolls, flatbread with toppings, calzones, pizza, buns, baguettes, etc.

Makes extra rice, it freezes well, plus day-old cold rice makes better fried rice, IMO.

Hope this helps!

You're also going to want to consider how far $10 goes in any given country.  For example, I'm in Ecuador.  For $10 US at my local farmer's market, I can buy an entire week's fruit and vegetables, a couple of pounds of gold rice, and a pound of pasta, and I'll still have enough left over for a pound of small shrimp….  As such, 99% of what I cook is less than $10 for four people each meal.  These same meals, were I to make them in Canada, would be considerably more expensive.

• Like 1

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

I wanted to edit my last post but I guess I waited too long. I was going to add that despite the difficulties/expense I might have with purchasing a lot of ingredients others may find cheap, I COULD put on a lobster dinner for 4 for $10, in season - either whole lobsters or lobster bisque to start followed by seared scallops on an arugula salad - which would probably leave me with enough cash for a simple dessert of some kind (pavlova or 'eton mess' with wild blueberries perhaps, or a 'wild' apple pie). Haddock is also relatively cheap in these parts. So, I would add to the list of 'variables' which may go into costing a meal (presumably for 4), seasons and local availability/specialty.

I apologize for not suggesting specific recipes. I tend to go by 'ideas', what I have available/can get easily, what would be 'fun' to make, etc. rather than by using actual cookbooks these days. I collect cookbooks for ideas, not for recipes. And, no, meat/fish are not a necessity for a great meal either.

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to put together a collection of meals that you can cook for £5 ($10). 

Does anyone have any favourite budget meals, which are possible to cook for under £5/$10.

Thanks!

Hi Guys,

Thanks!

Thinking of London, at reasonable cost: 

Salt cod, the creamy brandades, and tomato based stews.

Cioppino, or Italian seafood stews.

Cassoulet, with whatever is inexpensive, lamb shoulder, chorizo, breast of veal, etc.

Choucroute Garnis, with seasonable potatoes, apples, sausages  and bacon. 

Edited by jayt90 (log)
  • Like 1

Scottish lentil soup with ham hock  is cheap, I made the stock  from scratch and  it all came to  10 pounds  for 24  portions,  so I guess  just  four or  12 would hit  the mark.

My husband  when he lived in Scotland used to make   Sausage stroganoff with using   Mattessons Smoked pork sausage,  cream, milk , soy sauce , tomato puree  and  serve with rice that would give him 4 meals and it would be around 5 pounds for it or was it less back then.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

BTW, I don't know just what decent hamburger costs around here today [...] I'm off to the big Asian market in a while, and I'll check what prices are at their meat counter.

The price for a pound of (approximately) 85% ground beef was $3.39.  That's fresh ground, not packaged.  The market sells a lot of meat, so the items in their case are always fresh.  Fresh ground pork was $3.29 per pound.

... Shel

Well tesco sell  beef mince for 2 pound, that is usually rather horrid stuff.  

Have you pondered walking in to a butcher and ask what his cheapest cuts are and then try to figure out what to do with them?  I know trotters and pork bones makes lovely soup, so long as you blanch the trotters before adding them the soup pot.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Have you pondered walking in to a butcher and ask what his cheapest cuts are and then try to figure out what to do with them?  I know trotters and pork bones makes lovely soup, so long as you blanch the trotters before adding them the soup pot.

No, I don't usually ponder such things.  However, I have used trotters (that's pig's feet, yes?) when making my locro and in one other recipe.

... Shel

One of my quick and dirty meals is a savory rice one pot dish. My whole family loves it and it is an ad lib style recipe where pretty much anything goes.

Basic theme is a couple of chopped onions softened, 500g of beef mince fried in and browned, 2 cups rice, a packet of "taco" seasoning and any fresh or frozen veggies - peas, corn, diced carrots etc. add 4 cups stock or water and cook till rice is done. Finish with fresh herbs and parsley.

Simon

Edited by Simon Lewinson (log)