• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pig Spleen

Chris Hennes

I am buying a half hog this fall and they were butchered this morning. The guy who raised the pigs saved some spleens for me since I said I wanted them. Of course, I've only got one recipe (Fergus Henderson's Rolled pig's spleen from The Whole Beast: Nose to Tail Eating). Anyone else have any favorites? I'd be particularly interested in anything of a more Modernist bent. Can I cook one sous vide? What time/temp do you think?

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I once had stuffed spleen in a Philadelphia restaurant.  I didn't particularly enjoy it.  I don't remember which animal the spleen came from, but it definitely wasn't a pig spleen, since it was a kosher restaurant.

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

Could you adapt a recipe for sweetbreads? I've a hunch that cooking organ meats sous vide would turn them to mush, and also concentrate and make the worst of some of the chracteristic odours they have (a bit the way steaming sometimes does), so something like pan frying might be your best bet.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

My grandmother made a simple pork spleen stew but I can't remember her ever using it in scrapple.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!