• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jane Powell's Apple Nut Cake

BrooksNYC

This tasty apple cake, courtesy of the late Great Aunt Fanny's restaurant on West 46th Street in NYC, was a gift to the restaurant from actress Jane Powell. When enough customers requested the recipe, the restaurant printed it out on cards, and presented it with the check. 

I've yet to make it at home. The recipe, as given, strikes me as fuzzy on details, but then, I'm not (understatement!) an experienced baker. eGulleteers who know from cakes will know how to combine ingredients for best results.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Jane Powell's Apple Nut Cake

Preheat oven to 350

Ingredients

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup walnut pieces
16-20 ounces sliced apples (or canned apple pie filling)
2 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon salt

Mix ingredients by hand, or at very low speed in electric mixer. Pour into greased tube pan (see note), and bake for 1 hour. Cool cake before frosting.

Frosting

4 ounces cream cheese
1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
2 tablespoons milk
Cinnamon (if desired) to taste

NOTE: Size of tube pan not specified in the recipe, although a helpful friend on eGullet thought that a 10" tube pan would do fine.

Don't know if the restaurant used fresh apples or canned apple pie filling. Given the whopping two cups of sugar called for, I'd probably go for fresh apples, but that's me.

• Like 1