• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Reheating Leftover Pizza

gulfporter

The microwave...ugh, soggy mess.

The oven....dries it out. 

The solution is your gas grill.  Reheating on the grill actually improves the taste by imparting some smoky flavor.  Preheat to around 500 degrees, then turn burners to low, throw on the slices, cover down.  All grills are different as far as distance from racks to gas, but my usual reheat time is 4 to 5 minutes.  Watch it closely the first time until you get a feel for your grill.  

For something a lot less inconvenient (I don't have a gas grill...), put the slice(s) in a cast iron pan on medium heat, with a lid on, and in a couple minutes they're ready. Best method yet.

• Like 2

For something a lot less inconvenient (I don't have a gas grill...), put the slice(s) in a cast iron pan on medium heat, with a lid on, and in a couple minutes they're ready. Best method yet.

In fact, in this case I'd argue there's nothing particularly special about using cast iron. I use a cheapo nonstick skillet.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

How about the head-in-the-fridge style of eating leftover pizza?

• Like 8

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

In fact, in this case I'd argue there's nothing particularly special about using cast iron. I use a cheapo nonstick skillet.

Well since it's not high heat, something with a fairly heavy base is ideal since you want decent conductivity of heat (or whatever it's called, I'm not a scientist). A nonstick pan should be a lot better than the microwave though

If you happen to have leftover pizza (and I have been known to order/make a bigger pizza just so there are leftovers), you eat it cold, for breakfast, as God intended.

• Like 14

"There is nothing like a good tomato sandwich now and then."

-Harriet M. Welsch

Brilliant.  Absolutely sheer genius...and the photos in that post make me want to go buy a pizza NOW just for the pleasure of making pizza waffle pockets.  Or whatever they decide to call it.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Brilliant.  Absolutely sheer genius...and the photos in that post make me want to go buy a pizza NOW just for the pleasure of making pizza waffle pockets.  Or whatever they decide to call it.

Yes!  Once I read the article, I called Toots to see if she had a waffle iron.

I also found this link in the article:  http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2011/03/best-way-to-reheat-pizza-science-griddle-method-how-to-reheat-a-slice-of-pizza.html which is, IMO, a worthwhile read.  It's good to Understand a bit of why things happen when pizza is reheated.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

In addition to the waffle iron, you can also do this with your George Foreman Grill, or panino maker.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if this would work with any and all pizza, but it works really well for the thin-crust minimalist pizza we make ourselves, which may not be as large as some commercial pies. We just throw a slice in the toaster like any piece of toast; it crisps up, the cheese gets a little melty but not to the point of oozing and nothing seems to fall off of the slice. No pre-heating necessary. Works great. Until we tried this I just never saw an upside to leftover pizza.