• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gonna go mix me a Negroni!

ivan

This may upset or even anger some members, but I will not be swayed. Smoked oysters, the kind that come in a sardine-can-like-can and are lately packed in Korea or China in bizzare industrial lubricants like Cottonseed Oil, barely, I dare say, considered to be worthy of the moniker "FOOD" by some, are the perfect complement to a Negroni (equal parts Gin, Sweet Vermouth and Campari).

You may post whatever you want in this thread -- I will not moderate it. Post pictures of your cats. Discuss whether cooking is an art (it is). Mention your favorite underrated band (Thin White Rope). Keep it clean, though, so that it doesn't violate the Users Agreement.

The only request I have is that you let me know about your favorite savory thing to eat with your favorite drink.

When I was 15, I think, I discovered that green olives go really, really well with beer. I remember going through a big jar of olives and 2-3 bottles of Zhigulyovskoye

beer while laying on the couch reading A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, which is not Twain's most respected work, but my favorite, nonetheless, to this day.

But Negroni and smoked oysters... mmmmmm!

Damn! I hope I've got gin!

--

ID

--

I wonder if Mark Twain considered cooking an art?

I know he liked cats.

That would depend on how he cooked them.

PJ

"Epater les bourgeois."

--Lester Bangs via Bruce Sterling

(Dori Bangs)

Negronis...Yes! And I admire your courage in coming out for the smoked oyster.

In the laste sixties/early seventies my mother's favourite bridge party/cocktail party nibble was smoked oysters wrapped in bacon and grilled. This is still an addictive and delicious Cocktail Treat!

Be sure to have toothpicks on hand to skewer the oyster/bacon wrapup.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com