• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Injera - alternatives to teff?

ltimmis80

Where are you located that you can't find teff?  I buy it all the time, both the grain itself and flour (Bob's Red Mill) which is available at Amazon, NUTS.com, they even have it at my local Walmart and of course every health food store in urban areas.  You can also order it direct from an Idaho grower,   Teffco, Maskal Teff

I buy both the "red" (brown) teff and white (ivory) teff

Many of the "traditional" Ethiopian recipes now include a portion of millet flour because so much teff is being exported from Ethiopia. 

A friend directed me to this site for a superior traditional injera recipe and method.

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Teff flour is available from Amazon in the UK.   I have a friend who now lives on a canal boat in Norfolk and who has been experimenting with teff and other African grains for breads and etc.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett