• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Savory Dishes That Feature Lemon

Shel_B

Lemon is a favorite flavor here, and it would be great if I could get some fresh ideas about how to use lemon in savory dishes.  Apart from pasta dishes, and using lemons as an "enhancer" for many dishes, are there any dishes that might feature lemon as a main ingredient?  Thanks!

... Shel

Do you have an idea of where you'd draw the line between "enhancer" and principal ingredient?  I'm thinking of things like fish baked with lemon slices.  

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Do you have an idea of where you'd draw the line between "enhancer" and principal ingredient?  I'm thinking of things like fish baked with lemon slices.  

I'm not sure ...with a chicken stuffed with lots of lemon, the lemon might be a main ingredient, but a few slices of lemon placed on a chicken breast might be considered an enhancer.  That's the only example I can think of off hand.  Or think of 40 Garlic Chicken, where the bird is cooked surrounded with lots of garlic - enrobed in garlic the way I make it - the garlic would be a main ingredient as opposed to some garlic spread under the skin of a breast.  Overall, however, the line might not be clear, so I imagine that it's as much opinion and preference as an absolute.

As for your fish example, I suppose I could go either way with that one (which seems somewhat at odds with my stuffed chicken example, doesn't it?). 

ETA:  Hmm, perhaps I could make a 40 Lemon Chicken ... ?

Edited by Shel_B (log)
  • Like 1

... Shel

I marinate chicken wings in lemon and/or lime juice along with red pepper flakes (or fresh hot pepper), honey or sugar, olive oil, basil or thyme or rosemary. Marinate for 30 mins to overnight, then bake. 

Lemon roasted potatoes, sometimes called Greek Roasted Potatoes. (Or roast chicken pieces and potatoes together with lemon, olive oil, oregano) 

I also love pork ribs (side or back) marinated for about 24 hours in lots of lemon juice, some lemon zest, olive oil, honey, oregano, grated onion, garlic. Then bake. Serve with fresh lemon slices. 

And here's one from Renee's Seeds that I haven't tried, Greek Style Stuffed Chard

And one more - Sweet Onion & Lemon Relish - though it's called 'sweet' it's intended for use with meats. 

ETA a couple of additional suggestions. 

Edited by FauxPas (log)

Any of the piccatas have lemon in the sauce, right? Chicken, veal, etc.

I like to use this thing called google occasionally. It works well.

http://allrecipes.com/recipes/fruits-and-vegetables/fruits/citrus/lemons/

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Lemon roasted potatoes, sometimes called Greek Roasted Potatoes. (Or roast chicken pieces and potatoes together with lemon, olive oil, oregano) 

I'll have to look into that.  I love lemon juice on my baked potatoes, and Toots loves potatoes in most any form.  This might be something that would work well for us.  Thanks!

... Shel

A co-worker with a Meyer lemon tree recently discovered my fondness for the fruit and often brings me some.  My favorite dish is a combo of potatoes and broccoli tossed in olive oil with salt and lots of black pepper and crushed garlic.The lemons are sliced thinly. Proportions maybe half as much lemon as vegetables. Roasted at high heat until broccoli and lemons are caramelized. The lemons are addictively chewy and flavorful. Should some nice shrimp happen to appear they are stirred in about half way through. Bits of pork tenderloin would be nice added at the beginning.

The other day both lobster tail and shrimp were on deck as well as a huge super juicy Meyer. I tossed the seafood in basil infused olive oil, crushed garlic, salt & pepper, and cut the lemon into rough chunks exposing the oils and juices. Roasted at 425. The resulting juices were magic on rice. Note that the lobster was left in the shell and cut into pieces. In this case the lemon remained soft and was not eaten except for some small bits that got really soft - they got mashed into the rice with the juices. 

• Like 3

Braised Chicken with Preserved Lemons and Olives, my post #138:
http://forums.egullet.org/topic/113221-purge-the-larder/page-5
What a fun thread that was on EGullet.

If you don't want to make your own preserved lemons, a specialty food shop like the Pasta Shop probably has them.

Roast pork shoulder stuffed with herbs and lemon, my post #1755:
http://forums.egullet.org/topic/143510-dinner-2011/page-59

Asian-style steamed lemon chicken. A friend made it for me a long time ago, and I thought it was good. Something like this:
http://chilliandmint.com/2012/06/20/the-perfect-steamed-lemon-chicken/

Lemon risotto, like this:
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Lemon-Risotto-106451
I have a vague memory of eating lemon risotto with asparagus, though I didn't cook it.

If you're making any kind of deep-fried seafood, e.g., fritto misto, you can make lemon fritto misto also. Thinly slice a Meyer lemon, remove the seeds. Immediately before frying (not sooner or the slices will be gummy), dip the lemon slices in flour on both sides. Drop into the hot oil. When the slices are golden, remove and drain. These taste great with the fried seafood.

• Like 1

Braised Chicken with Preserved Lemons and Olives, my post #138:

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/113221-purge-the-larder/page-5

What a fun thread that was on EGullet.

If you don't want to make your own preserved lemons, a specialty food shop like the Pasta Shop probably has them.

Asian-style steamed lemon chicken. A friend made it for me a long time ago, and I thought it was good. Something like this:

http://chilliandmint.com/2012/06/20/the-perfect-steamed-lemon-chicken/

If you're making any kind of deep-fried seafood, e.g., fritto misto, you can make lemon fritto misto also. Thinly slice a Meyer lemon, remove the seeds. Immediately before frying (not sooner or the slices will be gummy), dip the lemon slices in flour on both sides. Drop into the hot oil. When the slices are golden, remove and drain. These taste great with the fried seafood.

I couldn't find the first recipe, however, the Steamed Lemon Chicken sounds great.  I've saved that one.  There is another of his recipes that sounds good - the Ma Po Tofu, which is a dish I like quite a bit when in the mood for it.  Don't care much for deep fried fish dishes. Thanks!

ETA:  OK, I found the first recipe.  Thanks!

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

I just want to reiterate that anyone interested in savory dishes featuring lemon would be badly remiss not to at least give these two of the several above-mentioned suggestions a go:  avgolemono soup, and chicken/veal piccata.

Two of the world's great classics.

• Like 2

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I'm a big fan of preserved lemon with slow roasted meats, beef, pork, lamb, etc and also with rich Indian curries. Easy as... so making a few jars each year is quick and cheap. I add Nigella seeds to mine. Instead of throwing out lemon rind, I shave it with the vegi peeler, dry, store and use in curries, stews etc or zest and freeze.

A co-worker with a Meyer lemon tree recently discovered my fondness for the fruit and often brings me some.  My favorite dish is a combo of potatoes and broccoli tossed in olive oil with salt and lots of black pepper and crushed garlic.The lemons are sliced thinly. Proportions maybe half as much lemon as vegetables. Roasted at high heat until broccoli and lemons are caramelized. The lemons are addictively chewy and flavorful. Should some nice shrimp happen to appear they are stirred in about half way through. Bits of pork tenderloin would be nice added at the beginning.

That sounds very nice ... thanks!

... Shel

And just today I received a package of exquisitely aromatic organic Greek oregano.  I see Greek Roasted Potatoes in our future!

• Like 1

... Shel