• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Why I Am Sometimes Not Thrilled With Organic Veggies

Porthos

18 minutes ago, quiet1 said:

What does celery grown next to Chernobyl look like?

Maybe something like this. When celery or leaf lettuce ages in the fridge, deprived of light, it tends to curve upward seeking light. I think asparagus will do this too.

Celery keeps a long time compared to more fragile veggies, it's even used as a preservative in "uncured" meats because of the naturally occurring nitrates. As someone without a car, who can't just pop out to the grocery for something on a whim, I have some aged celery in the fridge right now. :) I will use it cooked in a dressing/stuffing tomorrow for dinner. I have a romaine heart going Chernobyl too. It will also get used, and it's time to press my reluctant driver into grocery shuttle service.

What a nightmare, though to have to put in so much extra prep time on substandard produce, which is time-consuming enough in the best case scenario, for a huge dinner prep on the scale @Porthosis dealing with! I admire his restraint and reason. 

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

9 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Celery keeps a long time compared to more fragile veggiesreason. 

If it is not refrigerated, just sits in a box for three days, such treatment does not help keep it fresh.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;