• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Whippers/Whipping Siphons: Brands/Models, Cartridges?

BryanZ

Profi Plus and Gourmet plus both have stainless heads...minus the plus the heads are aluminum.

The gaskets are different (the Gourmet has a silicone gasket that's appropriate for warm/hot liquids) but interchangeable and some of the included accessories are different but for the most part they're the same whipper.

The Gourmet is more a barista model while the Profi is more for professional kitchens and the like.

I'd say it's the other way around, at least if by "Profi" you mean "Cream Profi". (I haven't been able to find another model containing "Profi" on the iSi website.)

I don't think it ultimately matters to most folks and for what it's worth I'm going by some of the marketing materials...the Cream Profi is described as "The professional chef's choice."

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I don't think it ultimately matters to most folks and for what it's worth I'm going by some of the marketing materials...the Cream Profi is described as "The professional chef's choice."

Yes, but the Cream Profi is intended for whipped cream and nothing else (pastry creams will work fine in all likelyhood, but they don't mention that in the ads). Anyway, the two heads are different apparently: some piston that's fixed in the others is supposed to be removable in the Cream Profi. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any schematics online.

As I said above, there are differences, but the gasket is all that needs to be changed to make the Profi as versatile as the gourmet.

"ISI Profi PLUS
"Different then the Gourmet whip this does not come with a silicone gasket, meaning, you can not use it for hot items. If you want to use this dispenser for hot items you can purchase a silicone gasket here."

ISI Gourmet Whip PLUS
"....designed for both hot and cold foods."

ISI Thermo Whip
"It also keeps ingredients hot – without the need to reheat – for up to three hours."

Source: http://www.creamright.com/blog/choosing-the-right-whip-cream-dispenser/

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

• 4 weeks later...

Here in Australia the Mosa CO2 cartridges are much cheaper than the iSi branded ones or the Liss ones. Does anyone have experience using these Mosa chargers in an iSi Gourmet Whip? I've found a few sites saying they are compatible, but these are also sites that are selling them. I just thought it would be prudent to check if anyone has direct experience with using the Mosa in and iSi.

Thank you.

Other than not being of pristine Viennese origin, what exactly does that chart tell us about the other types of Nitrous chargers?   If other charger mfgs are shipping adulterated chargers, that chart doesn't say so... but implies that the non-Austrian ones are inferior.  For a commodity chemical, the question is whether what they say they're selling is what they're selling... Why would I need an "EU certified pharmaceutical manufacturer" to wave a seal of approval over my commodity chemical?

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

I'm not sure that you "need" it, but I've found that the quality of the medical grade cartridges I've used is generally better.

Some that I've used were inconsistently charged.

Others had something flaking off the port end....not what I want in my food.

The difference in price was only 3 cents per box of 24....actually....the troubled cartridges cost more due to shipping.

I'll stick with the better quality ones.

in diving, for example, you can get gases that may be adulterated with generator or pump  fumes or oil or solvents, etc.

stuff you don't want to breathe, but that in other uses might not matter

I feel the same way with gas I'm using in food.

I'd RATHER it be certified as 'pharmaceutical grade'

• 2 years later...

It would be great to have extra bottles in different sizes. Caps would also be nice. A weakness of these siphons is they don't handle small quantities well (anything under half capacity can cause problems). Isi obviously wants us to deal with this by buying them in multiple sizes, but $$$ ...

Has anyone found a way, maybe a hack, for getting additional bottles?

Notes from the underbelly

1 hour ago, paulraphael said:

It would be great to have extra bottles in different sizes. Caps would also be nice. A weakness of these siphons is they don't handle small quantities well (anything under half capacity can cause problems). Isi obviously wants us to deal with this by buying them in multiple sizes, but $$$ ...

Has anyone found a way, maybe a hack, for getting additional bottles?

Thrift stores. Seriously. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog