• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What brand of cookware is this?

ahpadt

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x22j41a_la-fricassee-de-legumes-ne-compte-pas-pour-des-prunes_lifestyle (I have a current obsession about Alain Passard)

My best guess would be Bourgeat, but I'm not especially knowledgeable about pans...

I'm looking into getting a sturdy set of pans to replace my current crappy Tefal ones in a year or so, and these look interesting (despite not having a non-stick coating)...

Would it be reasonable to get a set of Sitram or Bourgeat pans at home for a non-pro? Aside from price, my concern is the lack of a non-stick coating. I never quite got the hang of cooking meat in them (already have a big Bourgeat Excellence saute pan), as stuff tends to stick...

The plus side is that I would fully expect these pans to possibly last me for decades.

Edited by ahpadt (log)

Would it be reasonable to get a set of Sitram or Bourgeat pans at home for a non-pro?

Hell, yes.  They are essentially eternal, and therefore a great value.  Note that Sitram Catering is not induction-compatible, and neither is Bougeat copper bimertal.  OTOH, Sitram Profisserie is compatible.

As for your sticking issue, you merely need to learn the proper technique to use with SS.  Heat first until droplets of water ball up and roll around (Google "Leidenfrost effect"), THEN add your fat, and finally the food.  You will be pleasantly surprised.  There are YouTube vids out there showing the technique. 

Also, you can "season" SS after a fashion.  No, it's not like seasoning cast iron, and no, it's not just wiping some oil, and no, it doesn't last terribly long...  What you do is  put 1/8" of oil in your pan, wipe it up the walls, heat it to just BELOW the oil's smoke point, let it cool to room temp, and wipe it out WITHOUT washing.  This is the same classic method used for "seasoning" aluminum omlet and crepe pans.  Unless something sticks/burns really badly, all you do is wipe out the pan, or scrub with a little salt and oil.  Avoid soap, else you'll have to start over.

Edited by boilsover (log)
  • Like 1

Induction support would be a must for me. My parents got an induction hob a few years ago and the control you have is incredible. The first stove I buy on my own will be induction without doubt.

Will google around a little bit more on the various pans. The way "non-stick" surfaces fade away after just 1-2 years is what's driving this for me.

Are Bourgeat and Sitram seen as having a similar level of quality pans?

Edited by ahpadt (log)

Are Bourgeat and Sitram seen as having a similar level of quality pans?

Yes.  I would put it this way:  IMO, Bourgeat is to Sitram what All-Clad is to Tramontina.

I looked again at the video, and the pan Passard is using is not Matfer-Bourgeat Excellence, either.  It has a pinched-closed handle base like Sitram's, but the other end is different from Sitram's current offerings.  Kerry may be right if it's something that's discontinued or not offered in USA.

Yes.  I would put it this way:  IMO, Bourgeat is to Sitram what All-Clad is to Tramontina.

I looked again at the video, and the pan Passard is using is not Matfer-Bourgeat Excellence, either.  It has a pinched-closed handle base like Sitram's, but the other end is different from Sitram's current offerings.  Kerry may be right if it's something that's discontinued or not offered in USA.

by the way, any idea where to find English subtitles for those videos? They look incredible.

I've realised that looking for the specific brand in the video might not be of most importance to me, but rather that I'd like to invest in some high quality stainless steel pans within a year. When searching around for Sitram and Bourgeat on these forums I came across another manufacturer, Mauviel, by complete accident. I then google'd their M'Cook line and f*** me. Such beautiful pans. I'm considering maybe visiting their factory next summer, but unsure whether they offer significantly reduced prices...

by the way, any idea where to find English subtitles for those videos? They look incredible.

Le Point added a couple of the older videos on youtube, maybe they have subs. To me, his cooking speaks a language on it's own. I don't understand everything, but I understand his philosophy and technique.

I've realised that looking for the specific brand in the video might not be of most importance to me, but rather that I'd like to invest in some high quality stainless steel pans within a year. When searching around for Sitram and Bourgeat on these forums I came across another manufacturer, Mauviel, by complete accident. I then google'd their M'Cook line and f*** me. Such beautiful pans. I'm considering maybe visiting their factory next summer, but unsure whether they offer significantly reduced prices...

Hi, ahpadt:

Nothing against Mauviel as a maker--they make very high quality stuff.  But M'Cook is a different construction than either the Sitram or Bourgeat being discussed.  M'Cook is a thin (2.6mm) steel-centered 5-ply full-clad (like A-C d5 and Demeyere Industry 5) whereas the Sitram and Bourgeat are thicker, disk-bottomed, triply  pans.

If you like the style of M'Cook, you might also like All-Clad's Thomas Keller line, exclusively at Williams-Sonoma.  It employs Demeyere's strategy of using different constructions for different pans within the line.

Cheers

• Like 1

Can't seem to find any concrete information on the thickness of the Bourgeat Excellence or Sitram Pro 1 pan series. Does your argument imply that most of the money you pay for Mauviel M'cook (is there a better Mauviel line except the cobber ones?) is due to it being handmade rather than high quality?

I'm located in the UK btw.

Edited by ahpadt (log)

Does your argument imply that most of the money you pay for Mauviel M'cook (is there a better Mauviel line except the cobber ones?) is due to it being handmade rather than high quality?

Ahpadt:

Not at all.  It's not that M'Cook is poor quality.  As I've said, it's on a par with A-C's d5 and Demeyere Industry 5.

It's just that I do not buy the theory that putting a middle layer of steel between 2 thin layers of aluminum accomplishes much.  My preference is for a thick central layer of conductive metal, i.e., triply, OR a thick disk bottom, like Sitram.

IMO, "hand made" isn't a good way to describe how any of these pans are made.  There may be people manning the computer-guided machinery or pressing buttons on machine tools (or even holding the handles to the bodies for riveting), but that's about it.  Mauviel has French labor costs.  Beyond that, they set their prices where they do for their own reasons.  Sitram is also made in France, BTW.

• Like 1

I went to my local kitchen supply store today where they sell Bourgeat Excellence. Found the handles of the saute pans too big and chunky for my liking, although they feel like they can last for-frickin-ever. The bottom certainly felt stable.

Are there any brands aside from AC, Sitram or Demeyere that I should consider, or is this really more a case of considering the differences in base construction?

Are there any brands aside from AC, Sitram or Demeyere that I should consider, or is this really more a case of considering the differences in base construction?

Sure, there's no shortage.  Ones to check out would include Vollrath, Lincoln, Berndes, Rosle, deBuyer, Paderno World Cuisine, Silga.  Falk if you won't need induction compatibility.  Viking, if you can find any.

I'd say it's more a question of construction and ergonomics rather than of brand, although the premium brands seem to sweat the details a little more.

Just in case you haven't seen this:  http://forums.egullet.org/topic/25717-understanding-stovetop-cookware/

You might also like: http://www.centurylife.org/2013/10/23/cookware-even-heating-rankings-induction-and-electric/ and http://www.centurylife.org/2013/10/29/cookware-even-heating-rankings-butane-propane-natural-gas-etc/

• Like 1