• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Michelin '03

The commentary was very nice. Sometimes, even for two and three stars, too much of the short commentary is devoted to decor. In Basildog's case, there was a lot on food and nice things were said.

1. Commentary for Stein was not necessarily better:

-- The Seafood (is that the official name of that facility?): "Bold artwork and a buzz of enthusiasm animate Rick Stein's converted granary and conservatory. *Flavourful* Cornish seafood. Stylish rooms in a cool modern palette." There is mention only of "flavorful" seafood. Basildog had that, and more. His description is much better than if Michelin had said "artwork was..."

-- St Petroc's: "On a steep hill above the town centre, a handsome white-fronted house with individually decorated rooms, full of stylish touches. Privately run with smooth professionalism." Although professional running could arguably encompass the cuisine, it is not specific to it.

-- Rick Stein's Cafe: "Tucked away on one of Padstow's side streets. Good quality furniture and a classic, traditional style of décor throughout. Well-appointed bedrooms." No mention of cuisine at all.

2. Even the one-starred Ripley's (note I have never eaten there) in the general vicinity only garnered this comment: "A feeling of real quality prevails: exposed beams and brickwork, stone-topped bar, intimate welcome. *Uses the best of Cornwall's ingredients*". Note the emphasis on decor, even for a one-starred restaurant. Basildog was noted as having the "finest" ingredients.

3. Other Padstow area restaurants do not have as nice commentary as Basildog:

-- Pescadou: "Bustling, glass fronted extension to Old Custom House, with characterful quayside setting. Open-plan kitchen adds to atmosphere. Rustic style menus with seafood emphasis." Here, the third sentence refers to the cuisine, but it merely notes the seafood emphasis (no kidding -- given we're in Padstow :hmmm:) and "rustic style menus"

-- The Metropole hotel's dining facilities: No verbal description.

-- Tresglos: "Smart attire the code in very comfortable dining room." Again, no mention of the food.

I have listed above all the restaurants in Padstow according to the Michelin website. The *relative* (relative to geographically proximate venues) favorableness of the commentary received by Basildog has, I hope, been demonstrated too. :laugh:

Note those knife and fork symbols are not generally viewed as food ratings. Michelin only has four food-specific ratings: the three levels of stars and Bib Gourmand (referring to good value for money or something akin to that). *Inclusion* in the Guide itself signifies Michelin considers the restaurant appropriate for diners to consider. I don't have any Michelins with me currently, but the knife and fork symbols signify comfort level (meaning decor, etc.) of the restaurant, I vaguely recall. Congrats -- Basildog :laugh:

Edited by cabrales (log)

Yes Cabby..the symbols are a comfort rating.

Thanks for the last post..maybe we should have a new thread..Cabrales's Guide to The Guides :wink:

For members info Ripley's is having a new roof and extended kitchen and dining room, so is closed at the moment.

Basildoggie:

Congratulations on your fork. I am so delighted to hear of it.

Must say, in eGulletland, it's as if my brother had won it.

Best always,

Maggie

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com