• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

SF Restaurant owner-chef strikes back

huiray

A lot of culture and tradition and habit goes into food like the food at SO. Some restaurants make an effort to accommodate  customers with special needs, others don't. Not everyone deals with change the same way, and most likely that's a case by case situation. 

It so happens that I don't eat a lot of wheat. I'm not allergic or celiac, but it just doesn't do my body good. I also don't eat much cheese any more to keep my cholesterol down (which it does) and I also have to limit my consumption of tomato products. Guess where I don't typically go out to eat: ramen joints and Italian joints and places that serve nothing but pig fat and mayonnaise. I also find that I get buzzy and dizzy after eating Chinese food that has lots of MSG. So I have learned which places not to patronize if I consistently have that type of reaction to the food.

There are plenty of restaurants that most of those on limited diets can eat in without holding it against the owners who are not able or interested in the challenge that challenged diners present. And owners exasperated by fussy customers have every right to say in the most polite way possible, "I'm so sorry, our kitchen just isn't able to do that for you." If that means the customer won't be back, so be it. So chill out, angry patrons and owners. There are way more important things to be angry about. And think how lucky we are in the Bay Area, where just about any kind of food you can imagine can be had without much difficulty. 

• Like 3

Good for them...bad for "patrons" who feel entitled.  :rolleyes:

Some of the comments are quite comical.  :smile:

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

A simple "We are unable to provide dishes without MSG" at the bottom of the menu would deal with that. Then the potential patrons can decide whether to stay and order or chose not to eat there.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Celiac Disease is a big deal but the typical restaurant shouldn't have to be expected to cope with it or allergies so severe that the food in question can't even have ever been in the same kitchen were the patorns food was prepared... Now, that said, there are reasonable accomidations that restaurants should make. Note, most vast majority of those with gluten or MSG "issues" have simply simply bought into a silly fad so not accomidating them might make some sense however there are people with legimate gluten issues or wheat allergies...

Edited by sculptor (log)