• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Not sure what size tart ring for this recipe from The Art of French Pastry by Jacquy Pfeiffer

GOJIRA

I just got the book The Art of French Pastry by Jacquy Pfeiffer and am confused about the size tart ring that hes asking for. He calls for a 9" tart ring in his tart recipes but makes no reference to height. I've seen tart rings in 3/4" to 1" in height. So I went to check the tart rings from Matfer which he recommends. Okay...seems their tart rings are 3/4" in height. But then I run into another issue. Turns out they dont sell 9" tart rings. The closest to 9" is  9.5" if I were to go down the stainless steel route or 8.75" if I went the tin route. It now appears that he rounded the size of the tart ring if he indeed uses Matfer. He does mention that he highly recommends stainless steel or galvanized metal which makes me think he actually means 9.5". Which one should I go for?

A sample recipe would be his chocolate tart which would consist of 350 grams of pate sablee to line the tart ring and 160 g dark chocolate couverture (2.6 oz), 50 g eggs (1 extra large egg), 75 g milk (3/8 cup), 150 g heavy cream (2/3 cup). Im leaning towards the 9.5" due to his stainless steel recommendation but at the same time, I would be annoyed if this wasn't the case and I would be left with a shorter tart with a disproportionate crust. But if I went the 8.75" route, theres the risk of overfilling.