• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pre-made purchased curry pastes

ElsieD

Thanks, Shel. That was the one I was referring to when I said the one site I found appears to have gone out of business. The web site looks active until you go to order from it and then it tells you the web site is undergoing maintenance. Further sleuthing revealed that it has been under maintenance for months and that no one is answering the phone, either.

That said, I appreciate your looking and if you come up with another site I'm all ears.....er, eyes!

I used to use Mae ploy (a friend of mine in Chinatown informs me this is a cheap bulk buy paste many food hall cooks use, ) but I have swapped to patak. It's more expensive, but  for me, has more depth of flavor. I find Thai kitchen too 'weak'. These days I'm a fiddler with curry flavors, I fry most pastes off with oil and almost always add extra sambal oelek and, like andiesenji, I mix, add and taste until the flavor matches my mood. An extra splash of fish sauce here, lime juice there, cane sugar, tamarind, powdered cashew, etc I have also started using pastes  together adding a spoonfull of Madras to vindaloo, mixing red and yellow thai, green with yellow etc. I'm addicted to coconut cream so I add that to everything,........(purists look away.) ..........even tom yum!

• Like 2