• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Long time 'lurker', currently from the Canso, Nova Scotia area

Deryn

Hello. I have been reading eGullet for at least 10 years, daily. I am an older female who joined eGullet years ago but never posted and lost my registration information so I have re-joined today.

I recently moved to the northeast tip of Nova Scotia, am a kitchen gadget afficionado (a bad habit that has been fed greatly by reading so many posts here about 'new things to try'), love to cook but have no one left to cook for any more (save my old Siberian husky who thrives on at least one roast chicken daily), and I currently am lusting after a freeze drier (thanks, Kerry!). I relate to, and am in awe of, so many of the amazing food 'personalities' who post here on eGullet. Thank you for educating and delighting me so much over the years.

In the past, I have taken on fun challenges like catering a wedding for 200 by myself, a thousand miles from where I lived and out of a hotel room, cold smoking salmon straight from the Yukon River, hunting/butchering/living on moose, canning and/or dehydrating just about anything in sight, and trying my hand at 'modernist' techniques. My kitchen is filled with just about every 'gadget' except that freeze drier! I WILL figure out a way for one of those to find me here at the 'end of the world' soon! I appreciate and enjoy good food of all types and ethnicities (the ingredients for which are difficult to source in this neck of the woods unfortunately - with the exception of lobster). I love to experiment with food and preservation techniques. Eclectic is probably the best word to describe me.

• Like 1

Welcome Deryn - happy that we can add another want to your list!  I know before the freeze drier I was beginning to think I'd reached the limit on things I could possibly need - now I'm not so sure.

Where were you living before the boonies in NS?

I am still trying to complete my move back from western North Carolina (Asheville area) to Canada - still have some kitchen stuff and furniture down there and a house to sell. I have also lived in Texas, Ontario (eastern, Ottawa mostly, but spent my childhood in Toronto), British Columbia, the Yukon (and the eastern arctic - Iqualuit - for a winter), Alberta, and I was born in the UK. Long story as to how I ended up in this neck of the woods (I have no relatives or old friends here), however possibly some of that story had to do with Peter the Eater's posts about Nova Scotia on eGullet years ago which planted the seed.

Like you, I really should NOT get a freeze drier - but now they are available for 'home use', I know I will. I have been buying freeze dried ingredients for years in cans - and would love to make my own and experiment as you are doing. That is 'fun' for me - and what is life without 'fun'? Perhaps you can talk to me sometime about the customs/shipping costs to get yours.  (Is there a way to pm here about that sort of stuff because it doesn't really apply to most here on the boards?).

Edited by Deryn (log)
  • Like 1

Welcome, Deryn.  I'm glad you've come out of lurker mode, and glad to know that we've snared another gadget lover.  ( Insert evil laugh like 'Bwaahaahaa!' here. :laugh: )  I know my kitchen stock has burgeoned since I joined eGullet. It makes moving painful, but living fun.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I am still trying to complete my move back from western North Carolina (Asheville area) to Canada - still have some kitchen stuff and furniture down there and a house to sell. I have also lived in Texas, Ontario (eastern, Ottawa mostly, but spent my childhood in Toronto), British Columbia, the Yukon (and the eastern arctic - Iqualuit - for a winter), Alberta, and I was born in the UK. Long story as to how I ended up in this neck of the woods (I have no relatives or old friends here), however possibly some of that story had to do with Peter the Eater's posts about Nova Scotia on eGullet years ago which planted the seed.

Like you, I really should NOT get a freeze drier - but now they are available for 'home use', I know I will. I have been buying freeze dried ingredients for years in cans - and would love to make my own and experiment as you are doing. That is 'fun' for me - and what is life without 'fun'? Perhaps you can talk to me sometime about the customs/shipping costs to get yours.  (Is there a way to pm here about that sort of stuff because it doesn't really apply to most here on the boards?).

Yup - PM me and I'll tell you all the details about the shipping.  Click on the little envelope on the top R of your screen - then new Compose New.  I shall wait to hear from you.

Welcome, Deryn. There are a couple of ways to PM someone. You can click on the person's screen name, either in the gray bar within a topic, or on the right-hand side of the forum listing, then click on "Send me a message." You also can use the search feature to find a member.

In fact, could you send me a PM? I'd like to converse with you about your Asheville house. Thanks.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer