• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Demeyer Proline vs. Mauviel M'Cook 11" fry pan?

Jamie Hall Douglas

Host's note:  this discussion, originally in the Q&A -- Understanding Stovetop Cookware (2009 -) topic, was split into a new topic here for better visibility.

I have no idea if this thread is still being monitored, but on the off chance that it is, I could use some input on a purchase.

I'm looking to buy an 11" (or so) frying pan.  The bad news is that it MUST come from Bed Bath and Beyond because I have an obscene amount of store credit.  The good news is that money is no object, so long as it comes from BBB.

Right now I'm eyeing the Demeyer Proline 11" fry pan with the helper handle.  It's by far the thickest aluminum I've seen on a clad pan, it has a helper handle, and it's the elusive 11" size.

I'm also considering the Mauviel M'cook 11" fry pan.  It would have the advantage of being lighter, but no helper handle.

Aside from weight, are there any particular reasons why the Mauviel would be a better choice despite having thinner construction?  Thanks!

Edited by Smithy (log)

I wish I had such a problem as a lot of credit at BBB. :-)

Here's a recent topic on the Demeyere that includes some discussion about Mauviel: Demeyere Skillet for Birthday Gift. You may find some useful information there, and of course we can hope for more responses from people who've used both these lines.

Welcome to eGullet!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

It is possible to saute toss with the Mauviel M'cook.  The Demeyer Proline is just too heavy for most of us.

I wish I had such a problem as a lot of credit at BBB. :-)

Here's a recent topic on the Demeyere that includes some discussion about Mauviel: Demeyere Skillet for Birthday Gift. You may find some useful information there, and of course we can hope for more responses from people who've used both these lines.

Welcome to eGullet!

Thanks so much for the links and advice!  I'll get reading!

• Like 1

IMHO, this isn't even a close call--get the Proline.

The Proline is 4.8mm thick, 3.7mm of which is aluminum.

The Mauviel is only 2.6mm thick overall, and has a central layer of steel (like All-Clad d5).  Assuming the 3 steel layers are 0.3mm each, there's only 1.5mm of aluminum in the pan.

For a comparative analysis of evenness of the Proline and other skillets, paste this into your browser: centurylife.org/2013/10/23/23/cookware-even-heating-rankings-induction-and-electric/   Note that d5--the pan most like M'Cook-- performed 'way behind Proline.  Note also that BB&B carries Berndes, the winner in this event.

Edited by boilsover (log)
  • Like 1

IMHO, this isn't even a close call--get the Proline.

The Proline is 4.8mm thick, 3.7mm of which is aluminum.

The Mauviel is only 2.6mm thick overall, and has a central layer of steel (like All-Clad d5).  Assuming the 3 steel layers are 0.3mm each, there's only 1.5mm of aluminum in the pan.

For a comparative analysis of evenness of the Proline and other skillets, paste this into your browser: centurylife.org/2013/10/23/23/cookware-even-heating-rankings-induction-and-electric/   Note that d5--the pan most like M'Cook-- performed 'way behind Proline.  Note also that BB&B carries Berndes, the winner in this event.

Thanks!  I'm definitely erring toward the Proline at the moment.  Frankly, I'm not strong enough to flip ANY 11" skillet with confidence, and it'll mostly be a stationary fryer.  I have a perfectly nice 10" tramontina for when I'm looking for something more manageable.

I'm also kind of kicking around the idea of cashing out my BBB credit and checking out Vollrath's Tribute line, if anyone has thoughts on that.