• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What did you buy at the liquor store today? (2014 – 2015)

Katie Meadow

Picked up a few items while in Martinique.  Great weather, great people, great beaches, beautiful landscape and magnificent rhum!  In general these bottles were at least 1/3 of their cost in the U.S.  I  visited the gift shop of Dillon Rhum, toured the grounds of Habitation Clement and bought rhums in the grocery store.  If your on the East Coast of the U.S. there are incredibly cheap fares to Martinique and Guadeloupe(sub $200).  YOu can combine a winter getaway with some Rhum tourism!

martinique rum haul.JPG

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

Not the liquor store exactly but one of my very thoughtful "liquor mules" brought this in from Utah where it is currently only available in state. May be released wider at some point next year.

56841ce5944fb_HighWestYippeeKiYay.JPG.5b

High West Yippee Ki-Yay

I picked up some to share with friends but kept a few for myself! A blend of two finished Double Ryes, some of which is finished in Quady Vya Vermouth barrels and some from Qupé Syrah wine barrels. I had a chance to taste a sample from the Vya vermouth barrel a while back and loved it. I feel like this may have a little more Syrah than Vermouth but still quite lovely. A touch of sweetness and rich mouthfeel with red fruit flavor with a bit of earthiness and then a surprise burst of cinnamon on the back of the palate with a nice sustained finish. A lovely companion to the A Midwinter Nights Dram for the holiday season and winter drinking in general.

Heck, I would drink it most any season!

• Like 2

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

Visiting family in Orange County, got to go to the celebrated Hi-Time liquor shop in Costa Mesa. What selection! Picked up the makings for some Manhattans, and found my first bottle of long-sought-after Bonal. Hoping it makes it home in my checked baggage.

hitime.jpg

• Like 2

A few "can't buy them at home" purchases from a holiday trip to NY:

NY_buys_rs.jpg

Maker's cask strength, barrel-aged peach brandy from Peach Street Distillers, and Pineapple Stiggins from Plantation/Maison Ferrand

[Host's note: this topic forms part of an extended discussion that grew too large for our servers to handle efficiently.  The conversation continues here.]

Edited by lesliec
Added hosts' note (log)
  • Like 3