• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What did you buy at the liquor store today? (2014 – 2015)

Katie Meadow

Purchases and presents from the last several weeks (months?) playing catch up:

DQ Gran Añejo, from Rafa; Don Pancho 8 from a friend (sugary); repurchase of Luxardo; ED NAS White (quite decent); 4 bottles of Bacardi Heritage (the Holy Grail); Some super-artisanal Sotol that my friend brought me from Mexico; ditto but Mezcal and different friend; and now that it's back in season and used a lot in my Green Zone drinks, Green Hat Spring/Summer, as well as some Ararat 3 year Armenian brandy.

11402835_10100389424706931_1665175668266

Not included in the photo: Green Hat Navy Strength

• Like 2

Purchases and presents from the last several weeks (months?) playing catch up:

DQ Gran Añejo, from Rafa; Don Pancho 8 from a friend (sugary); repurchase of Luxardo; ED NAS White (quite decent); 4 bottles of Bacardi Heritage (the Holy Grail); Some super-artisanal Sotol that my friend brought me from Mexico; ditto but Mezcal and different friend; and now that it's back in season and used a lot in my Green Zone drinks, Green Hat Spring/Summer, as well as some Ararat 3 year Armenian brandy.

11402835_10100389424706931_1665175668266

Not included in the photo: Green Hat Navy Strength

The bottle of Sotol looks like Hacienda de Chihuahua which, while interesting, is pretty readily available in many places in the US. Indeed it often seems to be the only brand of Sotol readily available! Not sure how "super artisanal" that makes it.

Although typically lumped in with mescal/tequila on the liquor store shelf, I suppose because it is from Northern Mexico, it is not agave based, coming instead from a different branch in the asparagus family than the agaves.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

Pretty low scale, yes.

There are two makers that show up in AZ: Hacienda de Chihuahua and Don Cuco, and there is a significant difference in approach and taste.

HdC uses more modern techniques like steaming the pina, column stills, and French oak leading to a very clean, elegant sotol

DC uses traditional fire pits, copper pot still, and American oak for a much more pronounced earthy, vegetal set of products.

Both good and certainly worth trying.

• Like 1

@AZBittersLab

AZBittersLab.com

Shipment from Chicago just arrived...

2x Plantation Stiggins' Fancy Pineapple Rum

2x AEppelTreow Honesty Pear Brandy

1x Leopold Bros Aperitivo

IMG_20150713_123126.jpg

I've had the first two, and love them both. The last I have no experience with, but given my adoration for all things Leopold (and tiny red bugs) I am pretty excited to try it. The Honesty brandy remains one of the most intriguing spirits I've ever tasted, and I'm glad I was finally able to track down a supply of my own. The back of the bottle sums it up nicely:

IMG_20150713_123309.jpg

Edited by KD1191 (log)
  • Like 3

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

I recently returned from Zimbabwe. Here's what I brought back. I've had the KWV 10 and Mainstay cane spirit before. I like both. The plastic bottle of rotgut is a special taste of Zimbabwe brought all the way back to Australia, braving the wrath of customs, for haresfur.

DSC_0037_zpseend9jvq.jpg

• Like 1

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

I recently returned from Zimbabwe. Here's what I brought back. I've had the KWV 10 and Mainstay cane spirit before. I like both. The plastic bottle of rotgut is a special taste of Zimbabwe brought all the way back to Australia, braving the wrath of customs, for haresfur.

Thanks. I, um, can hardly wait  :raz:

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

I haven't quite finished the Neisson 18 bottle, indeed I don't know how to open it.  I can't admit that publicly of course or I would be open to ridicule in the rum thread.  However I do go through a good bit of the Reserve Speciale of which I am rather fond.  The Reserve Speciale has a screw top.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Schneider's?

Yep.  I usually hit Ace but this one has been on my radar for months.  Unfortunately, I didn't snag it while it was on sale but trying the European bottling has made me  willing to take the risk.

JNW - when you get it open definitely report back

I haven't quite finished the Neisson 18 bottle, indeed I don't know how to open it.  I can't admit that publicly of course or I would be open to ridicule in the rum thread.  However I do go through a good bit of the Reserve Speciale of which I am rather fond.  The Reserve Speciale has a screw top.

Wow, Neisson 18! I would love to be in the position of getting a "restock" on that one! My lonely bottle of Neisson Reserve Speciale is feeling rather jealous... :biggrin:

I just hope that once you get it open you don't mix it up with the Reserve Speciale and use it all up in Mai Tai's! I know that using better ingredient's in theory makes for better cocktails but I think I would be sipping that bad boy neat!  

After all that is the equivalent of about a case and a half of the Reserve Speciale or 20 bottles of a decent Clement Select Barrel rhum agricole! That would make a lot of Mai Tai's...

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

Yep.  I usually hit Ace but this one has been on my radar for months.  Unfortunately, I didn't snag it while it was on sale but trying the European bottling has made me  willing to take the risk.

JNW - when you get it open definitely report back

How much is it going for now?

Wow, Neisson 18! I would love to be in the position of getting a "restock" on that one! My lonely bottle of Neisson Reserve Speciale is feeling rather jealous... :biggrin:

I just hope that once you get it open you don't mix it up with the Reserve Speciale and use it all up in Mai Tai's! I know that using better ingredient's in theory makes for better cocktails but I think I would be sipping that bad boy neat!  

After all that is the equivalent of about a case and a half of the Reserve Speciale or 20 bottles of a decent Clement Select Barrel rhum agricole! That would make a lot of Mai Tai's...

For some reason you noticed the one rum that was not a restock.  But it was on sale, and after all it is a full liter.

Maybe Hassouni will come sabre it?

• Like 3

For some reason you noticed the one rum that was not a restock.  But it was on sale, and after all it is a full liter.

Maybe Hassouni will come sabre it?

Isn't that always the case.

As for putting the sabre to it, well that I would like to see! :shock:  

~tanstaafl2

• 4 weeks later...

La Favorite recently has been hard to find but five liters arrived this evening.  None too soon.  I'm on my second mai tai.  Sorry, no picture, but everyone knows what La Favorite looks like by now, don't they?

I also bought a bottle of Ed Hamilton's 151 proof Demerara to test out.  Once grapefruit comes back in season it will be interesting to compare with Lemon Hart.

2x Plantation Stiggins' Fancy Pineapple Rum

2x AEppelTreow Honesty Pear Brandy

1x Leopold Bros Aperitivo

post-62365-0-57534300-1436805876.jpg

I picked up a bottle of the Stiggins recently.

Wednesday tastings 22JUL15 4.JPG

Delightful stuff. Kind of a ready made tiki-ish punch in a bottle in the best possible way!

Once I tried it I promptly picked up several more. Can't be too careful...

• Like 2

~tanstaafl2

Leopold Aperitivo. Thoughts?

No thoughts I am afraid, only a question - with regard to bitterness, is it closer to Campari or Aperol?

Pulling up my thoughts on first taste: Aperitivo has layers of flavor that will keep me reaching for it over Campari & its substitutes. Also, it smells like heat.

Revisiting it now, I would certainly say it's closer to Campari than Aperol, but I haven't had Aperol in the house for over a year. There's a bit more grapefruit (or, pomelo? I know the Leopold guys like pomelo) than orange. The bitterness is very gentian, Suze-like.

• Like 1

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour