• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What did you buy at the liquor store today? (2014 – 2015)

Katie Meadow

Good stuff.

Yeah, for sure. I had a dram neat followed by an old fashioned. Wonderful.

MGXO has apparently been reduced a bit in quality with each bottle design change (no age statement, so legally they can do whatever they want) - but I find the stuff in that design bottle still very nice.

I did read something like that from a certain "captain" also. He's the only source I've heard this from, so can't be sure it's a fact. He comes across as a bit of a *ic* and self promoter the way he comments on just about every rum review out there -  just my opinion. But, then again, I seem to agree with his reviews a LOT. I also think he's trying to do something good for rum(drinkers). In any case, MGXO suits my tastes very well, so I hope they keep doing it this way.

Some Gosling's Very Old, among many others, chez Hassouni. Noses like a fernet—eucalyptus, black tea, nettle—and drinks like one, too, with a sticky caramel mouthfeel and a palate that mixes olfactory dryness (those forest notes) with notable sugar. Sui generis.

• Like 1

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

Some Gosling's Very Old, among many others, chez Hassouni. Noses like a fernet—eucalyptus, black tea, nettle—and drinks like one, too, with a sticky caramel mouthfeel and a palate that mixes olfactory dryness (those forest notes) with notable sugar. Sui generis.

Is this in the right thread, Rafa?  Which brings to mind the question, how is Gosling's very old different from Gosling's old?  Since I haven't had any for a while I am enjoying a small glass of Gosling's old.  Thank you.  Possibly a bit of a waste following [edit:  a white mai tai,] poitin, [edit: M.R.] and rather spicy food.  Still, very nice, at least until the morning.

I have to admit, your professional prose beats mine.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Is this in the right thread, Rafa?  Which brings to mind the question, how is Gosling's very old different from Gosling's old?  Since I haven't had any for a while I am enjoying a small glass of Gosling's old.  Thank you.  Possibly a bit of a waste following [edit:  a white mai tai,] poitin, [edit: M.R.] and rather spicy food.  Still, very nice, at least until the morning.

I have to admit, your professional prose beats mine.

It's the same rum.

DSC_0028_zpscnxgukuh.jpg

The rum was an impulse purchase: $3 at the counter. I vaguely remembered hearing the name somewhere. It's not a rum I've seen stocked anywhere around town. Based on the couple of reviews I turned up, it's meant to be terrible. Oh well. The three full-sized bottles are all new to me.

• Like 1

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

DSC_0028_zpscnxgukuh.jpg

The rum was an impulse purchase: $3 at the counter. I vaguely remembered hearing the name somewhere. It's not a rum I've seen stocked anywhere around town. Based on the couple of reviews I turned up, it's meant to be terrible. Oh well. The three full-sized bottles are all new to me.

Terrible in the best way possible. It's not syrupy rum, that's for sure. I can't believe you found a mini of it. I rarely even see 750s of it here....

Terrible is right. I've revisited it in the last few months after experiencing more rums, particularly of higher strength. I still don't like it neat but in a Mail Tai it plays its role much better than most. If I saw a bottle on the shelf today I would buy it just for its usefulness in that one drink.

Sea Wynde apparently has had a lot of batch variation. More recent bottlings are said to be better. I don't know if that's reassuring enough to merit purchasing a full bottle. I greatly enjoyed the one I tried at Hassouni's place; it reminded me favorably of a Caroni bottling of his. I was sipping it neat.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

T0SbtK7l.jpg

Leftmost three are restocks. 

Funny that I'm so excited about this haul--a couple of years ago not a single one of these names would've meant anything to me.

Had planned to try Amaro Montenegro about which I've heard so many good things, but the guy said it's no longer imported (at least through his distributor I guess). They were carrying Amaro Sibona in its place--anyone here ever tried that?

Edited by Craig E (log)

It's nice when people come back from the US with some stuff you've been hoping for:

Today's bottles.jpg

Both are impossible to find here.  I'm now moderately familiar with S&C, thanks to various helpful people (lookin' at you, Kerry!) but I think I've only had Gran Classico once, from a bottle somebody brought back from somewhere and gave to the Hawthorn Lounge.

I haven't found any recipes that use both - that might be a little unkind to the Gran Classico - but I'm looking forward to using the GC in something interesting tonight.

• Like 2

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory