• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What did you buy at the liquor store today? (2014 – 2015)

Katie Meadow

Thanks, FrogPrincesse! A Halekulani is precisely what we had tonight, though I made it with blood orange juice instead of regular orange juice. The flavour of the oke is definitely light, but there was something to it that kept it interesting. It's probably not a spirit that I'll turn to frequently, but it's new and different, and I'm nothing if not a novelty-seeker.

• Like 1

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

Might still happen...

Moto, how'd you like the Forres Park?

I haven't cracked open the Forres Park yet.  So far the Hampden is like Smith and Cross minus the fruitiness and caramel but add in some smoke and vanilla.  It seems as though 14 years has barely taken the edges off the spirit.  Definitely not a sipper and at that price point hard to see as a mixer. 

I should have a chance to take a couple of more tastes of the Guyana later this week and I will report back. So far I'm more impressed with it than  any  Samaroli or Blackadder

• Like 1

The mug has been on my list of things to get for a while now... I am very jealous :-)

There's a mug you don't have? From the wonderful drink photos you post, I'd have thought you had every tiki/cocktail glass design ever produced! ;)

There's a mug you don't have? From the wonderful drink photos you post, I'd have thought you had every tiki/cocktail glass design ever produced! ;)

I wished! That sea urchin mug is one of the most interesting designs that I've seen.

I wished! That sea urchin mug is one of the most interesting designs that I've seen.

It's a close call, but I prefer my 'Fijian Mermaid'.

BvbOYgsIYAA837T.jpg

• Like 1

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

Lillet Reserve finally found its way to my house. Haven't seen it in Atlanta, either it never made it or I missed it. But a friend passing through NYC was kind enough to stop at Astor and get one for me.

Lillet reserve 1.JPGLillet reserve 2.JPG

Not yet had a chance to try it but sounds like it might be best served as is and a bit chilled as the label suggests.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

Blogger SKU reviewed the same run of K&L exclusive rums that Moto purchased. He liked the Hampden more than Moto did. He's also reviewed their recent whiskies throughout the week, for those interested.

• Like 1

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

Blogger SKU reviewed the same run of K&L exclusive rums that Moto purchased. He liked the Hampden more than Moto did. He's also reviewed their recent whiskies throughout the week, for those interested.

Yes, it made them sound more appealing but they are pretty spendy, especially the two Guyanese rums, and I have not had the best luck with Scottish aged/bottled rums. They are pricey and have been good but not great, especially for the price. To this point I have refrained from buying these.

We shall see how long that lasts... :huh:

Edited by tanstaafl2 (log)

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

Yes, it made them sound more appealing but they are pretty spendy, especially the two Guyanese rums, and I have not had the best luck with Scottish aged/bottled rums. They are pricey and have been good but not great, especially for the price. To this point I have refrained from buying these.

We shall see how long that lasts... :huh:

I sort of agree. The Samaroli rums haven't been as impressive as some of the other indies I've tried...and as you say, quite spendy. That Samaroli Caol Ila at Rafa's bar though, fuckin hell. Masterpiece.

However, that Hampden....

Edited by Hassouni (log)

Had this pressed upon me the other day but didn't take up the offer. Bought other things (see above). Regretted not getting it: it was just too good. Thought about it some more. Caved.

DSC_0008_zpsl7ouwpne.jpg

On the nose: Booze. Warm spices and brown sugar -- Christmas pudding, butterscotch sauce like you'd serve with a classic sticky date pudding. Freshly sharpened grey lead pencils (I'm a primary school teacher, hence the specificity). Caramelised banana. A hint of peach? Some kind of stone fruit? Maybe.

Palate: Entry is a little sweet. Boat load of spice. Brown sugar. Oak. The prickliness, warmth of booze--it's 100 proof, after all. Black pepper. Butterscotch sauce again. 

A rather grand dram.

• Like 1

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

All right, you two have convinced me. One more for the wishlist.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

Finally purchased the bottle of Luxardo Amaro Abano that has been sitting at my local store for months now. I have been thinking "I'll buy that later" and I saw they were just down to one, so I jumped for it. It reminds me a bit of Ramazzotti, only the cola notes is replaced by a hint of anise and cinnamon. I tried it out in the Brooklyn Heights, as I always think something in the Manhattan universe is a good test of a dark brown Amaro. Certainly tasty the Abano plays well with the dry vermouth, not overpowering it. A nice little Amaro, and a bargain for 22 dollars.

All right, you two have convinced me. One more for the wishlist.

I seem to recall reading that the 2013 bottling was superior to the 2014 bottling, which is what I have. I don't know if this 'thing I possibly read somewhere once' is worth you trying to seek out a non-current bottling, though.

• Like 1

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

I seem to recall reading that the 2013 bottling was superior to the 2014 bottling, which is what I have. I don't know if this 'thing I possibly read somewhere once' is worth you trying to seek out a non-current bottling, though.

The three I had acquired from Europe were bottled May 2012 and are all before the current label change and had white labels.

Alas, one has fulfilled its duty and the second is well on its way to doing the same. I am told it will eventually be available in the US but no sign of it so far.

Millstone Rye 2.jpgMillstone rye label.JPG

They need to hurry!

• Like 1

~tanstaafl2

Bought a bottle of Linie aquavit recently. Interesting flavor, lighter caraway than I expected. Looking forward to finding some cocktails for it.

Very few cocktails call for aquavit, and even fewer for Linie aquavit. I did an aquavit tasting a while back, and Linie, which is aged and pretty mellow, is not interchangeable with Krogstad for example.

Death & Co has the Great Northern; the Jesper Lind; the One, One, One; the Enemy Lines; the Meridian Daiquiri; and the May Fair (if you have both aquavits...).

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)
  • Like 1