• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What did you buy at the liquor store today? (2014 – 2015)

Katie Meadow

Working up an order for things I have to get online since they aren't available locally and saw Lillet Reserve. It was a bit intriguing.

http://www.lillet.com/intl-en/range

http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2013/05/new-lillet-reserve-vintage-jean-de-lillet-2009-review.html

Anyone tried this?

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

A holiday trip to New York yielded some Zafra rum, Maker's Mark cask strength, Amaro CioCiaro and Gourry de Chadeville cognac.

The green line 6 subway conveniently stops within blocks of the Astor, Union Wine, and Park Avenue retail shops (though the latter two can be reached more quickly on a green 4 or 5 train). 

I tried to swing by Borisal (DUNY) in Brooklyn but their store hours are a little weird (compounded by the holiday season).

I also stopped in to gawk at the rare stuff at Financial District Liquor.

Did you pick those up in London? Any tasting notes for us? Finally are you still enjoying the Rattray Caroni?

Yes, no, and yes, as I've barely touched it!

Tasting notes won't be for a couple weeks at least yet.

I bought a bottle of Nikka Coffey Grain Whisky -- which was one of the best whiskies I've ever had when mixed with soda -- and Nikka 17 year old Whisky. I've been looking for a bottle of the 21 year old Hibiki from Suntory. 

Japanese whisky rocks! 

:) 

• Like 1

A bottle of Bombay Sapphire East found its way through duty free to me.

My mother bought me this by mistake. A mistake as in, she doesn't think it should have been on the flight she was working on, but she picked it up anyway.

Usually they stock 47% Sapphire, which I don't mind so much at the higher strength.

The Dead Parrot; Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Monkey Shoulder Ultimate Bartender Champions, 2015

Twitter

Instagram

Untappd

Another trip to Ace in DC this past weekend.  The Smith and Cross is a restock, all others are new to me.

Really a wonderful store. Now that we're back in NYC full-time, that's one of my most-missed DC places.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Not terribly exciting but the situation was critical:  I killed the last ounce of my Grand Marnier tonight.

Things are safe for now, but I'm kicking myself I didn't purchase the 1.75 liter bottle.  I go through the stuff so fast.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

First post here, hope I get it right :).

I am trying to expand my stock so I will have more options when guests come over. This is what I've picked up in the last couple of weeks.

imagejpg2_zps99940df2.jpg

imagejpg1_zpscbce483a.jpg

I am currently on the hunt for a small (375ml) bottle of Green Chartreuse, but think I'm going to end up ordering online.

The vodka is totally for the bottle. I don't really drink vodka or use it much but I do like to batch mix cocktails and loved the size and shape of that bottle so when it's done will remove the labels and use it to batch mix for a party. The Rittenhouse is a restock as is the Warre's Port. My biggest score was finding the Carpano Antica Vermouth in the 375ml bottles, so happy about that!

Annette

• Like 1

First post here, hope I get it right :).

Looking at what's in those pictures, I'd say you got it pretty right.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

There is snow on the ground and talk of a blizzard.  I was down to one jar of peanuts.  My mission was clear.  It's a two and a half mile hike but I made it home at dark.  I had to rest halfway back to let the lactic acid dissipate from my arms.

Restocked Wray & Nephew.  Also Laird's and limes and mint.

I was down to one jar of peanuts...so too, it happens, was the store.  Some people were buying up the bottled water.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

There is snow on the ground and talk of a blizzard.  I was down to one jar of peanuts.  My mission was clear.  It's a two and a half mile hike but I made it home at dark.  I had to rest halfway back to let the lactic acid dissipate from my arms.

Restocked Wray & Nephew.  Also Laird's and limes and mint.

I was down to one jar of peanuts...so too, it happens, was the store.  Some people were buying up the bottled water.

• Like 2

Death's Door Gin w/ Q Tonic

St George Terrior Gin

Old Overholt Rye

Templeton Rye

I'm a little annoyed that I let the store clerk convince me to buy a more expensive bottling of the standard LDI Rye when I was happily purchasing a bottle of Dickel.

I'm hoping duty free will have another couple of treats before I head home.