• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What did you buy at the liquor store today? (2014 – 2015)

Katie Meadow

I forgot that most stores are closed on Sundays in Paris, so my plans of stocking up on agricole did not work out. Instead, I ended up with a modest-sized bottle of aged pear eau de vie bought at the Zurich airport.

15592910458_11b4a18c26_z.jpg

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)
  • Like 1

I forgot that most stores are closed on Sundays in Paris, so my plans of stocking up on agricole did not work out. Instead, I ended up with a modest-sized bottle of aged pear eau de vie bought at the Zurich airport.

15592910458_11b4a18c26_z.jpg

Sacré Bleu! And other colors as well!

I am sure that is lovely but to not be able to pick through the rhum agricole availability (among other things!) in Paris would be disappointing indeed.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

• 2 weeks later...

Got these at my favorite Trader Joe's.

Stone Master of Disguise, a stout camouflaging as a blonde, from their Stochasticity series.

Lost Abbey Gift of the Magi, a seasonal golden ale with frankincense and myrrh.

Stone Enjoy By 12.26.14 IPA. It looks like its distribution has expanded to most of the U.S. now.

15838436836_877f584cb2_z.jpg

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

Walked into a VA liquor store and was surprised to see  Plantation 3 Stars white rum.  At just $18.00 I couldn't say no.  There goes my moratorium until Christmas.  Tried it by itself and with a twist of lemon initially.  Very impressed. 

Once I got home to NC I mixed up a drink with lemon, soursop and tamarind concentrate.  The Plantation stood up well.  Perhaps not as well as La Favorite but overall I am impressed.  It is delicious and full of flavor.  Sipped neat it had an earthy or cinnamon note towards the end. Will try a daiquiri one day soon

plantation 3 stars.JPG

My rum ration has arrived.  All restocks except for one:  Lost Spirits Navy Style rum.  To make its acquaintance I'm assaying a glass as we speak.  And just for fun I am carefully (no peanuts) comparing Lost Spirits to a glass of Pusser's.  (It's a cold night.)  I'd say the styles are very similar.  More so than I was expecting.

I also note Pusser's is about half the price of Lost Spirits, but on an abv basis their cost is about the same.  The real test of Lost Sprits will come in a mai tai later on this evening.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Full 4 oz pour?

Three ounce -- not counting the Grand Marnier, of course.  Quite satisfactory.  I found myself thirsty for a white mai tai but a promise was a promise.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I never get to post anything fun in this topic but while I was in Estonia I picked up these dandies. From left to right: KristalKommel - honestly, I have no idea what this is; I bought it because there are crystals on the bottom of the bottle. Kannu Kukk - apparently there are a few of these and they are the go-to drink in Estonia. We had just bought this bottle and later in the night were served some at our restaurant. I was on the lookout for any interesting booze infusions and found this birch liquor. And lastly sea buckthorn liquor. Seems like that flavor is so trendy right now I thought it would be good to give it a try.

20141210_155844.jpg

As did I—Don Q Gran Añejo and the new-to-market pitorro (unaged cane juice rum), both at great prices. How's the bottled Coquito?

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

As did I—Don Q Gran Añejo and the new-to-market pitorro (unaged cane juice rum), both at great prices. How's the bottled Coquito?

Little frog?

While I have tried both rums (very different but both quite good), I haven't tried the Coquito yet but I'll let you know when I do. Rafa, have you had (or made) Coquito?

Well, I've never posted on this thread, but found something worth posting about: Viking Blod  It's a mead from Denmark, with absolutely lovely flavors. Honey, hibiscus, spices..oh goodness! Its wonderful!

I bought it originally to make liqueur cubes for the candy shop. Hubby and I enjoyed it so much, I barely had enough for one batch of syrup.   :biggrin:    IMHO....it would make a nice addition, esp.  for holiday gatherings and such.

Vinique is next on my list - mainly because it looks so very cool- sparkling and swirling around in that bottle.  Anyone ever tasted it?  Just curious. 

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

Not today, but looking forward to stocking up on Havana Club in the near future.

• Like 3

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

While I have tried both rums (very different but both quite good), I haven't tried the Coquito yet but I'll let you know when I do. Rafa, have you had (or made) Coquito?

Every winter. Love the stuff. Never tried it pre-bottled, though. 

I bought some delicious Don Q Gran Añejo and some unaged pitorro (Puerto Rican sugar cane juice rum, traditionally distilled illegally up in the mountains somewhere) with light rhum agricole-ish flavors at the same duty free this past week.

I also bought some Guyanesen rum bottled privately for Astor Wines. Unfortunately, I can't recommend it. It's harsh and unbalanced, with only a bit of Demerara character. At least it's cheap--I've got a liter of the stuff if anyone wants to take it off my hands. 

• Like 1

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937