• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What did you buy at the liquor store today? (2014 – 2015)

Katie Meadow

Just looking to restock a handle of Tanqueray, was stopped in my tracks as I saw two bottles of Elijah Craig Barrel Proof (70.1% - 6th release) stocked on the shelf with the regular Elijah Craig 12 year. My lucky day.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

It's a shame so much of the BTAC will not be drunk but flipped to the highest bidder

Indeed it is. I have managed to squeeze out a single bottle of GTS, WLW and Saz 18 at close to MSRP (I won't pay much over that) and maybe have a chance at a second GTS. But that is about it. I did manage to get several bottles of the new PHC8 Wheat Whiskey which I think is very good as well as a couple of the batch 6 ECBP but it has been like getting blood out of a rock.

WLW 2014 2.JPGPHC8 ECBP batch 6.JPGBTAC 2014 2.JPG

I get the feeling much of the BTAC goes to on premises accounts but I have no actual proof of that. Nor could I do much about it anyway.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

I suppose this counts:

Spoon.jpg

I find myself influenced by Death & Co; this is much prettier than my old spoon.  I'll see how it goes tonight.

An interesting reflection from the D&C book is that their section on how to stir suggests I'm doing it backwards.  They say a right-hander should stir clockwise, but I've grown used to going anticlockwise and it feels more natural.  I'm sure the end result is much the same (and I'm growing a nice callous they say is a badge of honour).

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

I suppose this counts:

attachicon.gifSpoon.jpg

I find myself influenced by Death & Co; this is much prettier than my old spoon.  I'll see how it goes tonight.

An interesting reflection from the D&C book is that their section on how to stir suggests I'm doing it backwards.  They say a right-hander should stir clockwise, but I've grown used to going anticlockwise and it feels more natural.  I'm sure the end result is much the same (and I'm growing a nice callous they say is a badge of honour).

CK spoons are the best, you'll love it!

I've found that I CANNOT stir properly except clockwise in my right hand, and I can't do anything at all with my left hand except anticlockwise

CK spoons are the best, you'll love it!

I've found that I CANNOT stir properly except clockwise in my right hand, and I can't do anything at all with my left hand except anticlockwise

Take into account that Leslie lives at the antipodes so the drinks go widdershins.

• Like 6

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I suppose this counts:

attachicon.gifSpoon.jpg

Right handed, clockwise, here.

• Like 1

The Dead Parrot; Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Monkey Shoulder Ultimate Bartender Champions, 2015

Twitter

Instagram

Untappd

That's because you're in the other hemisphere - I like Jo's theory!

The spoon is quite wonderful, by the way.  A little smoother on my developing callous!

Cynar has been impossible to get here for some weeks, but yesterday I spotted some in a slightly obscure shop I rarely visit.  They had two bottles.  I left them with one, but told my friends at the Hawthorn Lounge where they could find it.  If they haven't got there by the end of the week I might have that one too!

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

IMG_6276.jpg

IMG_6062.jpg

IMG_6301.jpg

Probably the Armagnac is nothing special, but ran into it at a Tesco in a smaller Chinese city for not very expensive. I don't see much Armagnac at all so just took a chance. Have never seen Flor De Cana here at all, found this 375ml bottle that appears to have been sitting on the shelf for a while.

We got it on for £10 an ounce. It feels good to be getting it into people's hands, you know? If we tried for the same margins as our other spirits based on even what we bought it in at, let alone current street price, it would be astronmical.

Twitter

Instagram

Untappd

That's fairly reasonable. In all objectivity, how does it compare to classic sherried scotch, like Glenfarclas, or Aberlour A'bunadh, or, any of those?

Amazingly our local Waitrose (UK supermarket chain) had Carpano Antica Formula! The range of vermourths they stock is definitely expanding (increasing interest in cocktails?) - not long ago all I could find was Martini & Rossi.

It ended up in the best Manhattan I've ever made - with Wild Turkey.

Edited by thampik (log)

That's fairly reasonable. In all objectivity, how does it compare to classic sherried scotch, like Glenfarclas, or Aberlour A'bunadh, or, any of those?

Oh, if I must...

image.jpg

• Like 1

Twitter

Instagram

Untappd

Okay, so I'll stop dicking about.

The abubadh is incredible. It goes without saying.

When you cut it a bit and nose it, there is no doubt you are smelling a sherry monster.

However, a lot of this comes down to the fact it is overproof. There is simply fifty percent more in the bottle (a bargain, no doubt)

The Yama is everything you've just had, but more. It sounds cliche, but we have raisins, plums, prunes, Christmas cake. It's just bonkers. It's almost much more integrated because of the extra age in the cask. It's what Macallan 18 should be like if they weren't trying to be the Cloudy Bay of Speyside.

It's worth noting that despite the proof difference, the Yama is almost opaque in the bottle. We have a lot of wood influence here.

• Like 1

Twitter

Instagram

Untappd