• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What did you buy at the liquor store today? (2014 – 2015)

Katie Meadow

Caña Brava, Ferrand Dry Curaçao, Doorly's Macaw White...what else...oh and a friend got me a L of Wood's 100 Demerara Navy Rum from Heathrow...also a gift of Yeni Rakı (but I prefer the Lebanese stuff)

Edited by Hassouni (log)

Along with some wines added to reach the free shipping plateau, a few bottles arrived from DrinkUpNY today.

IMG_20140926_104617.jpg

Macchu Pisco "La Diablada"
Tanqueray Old Tom
Cana Brava Rum
Fords Gin

Ordering from DUNY has become something of a chore. While I appreciate the usability of their site in comparison to other liquor retailers, it's still pretty poor in the grand scheme of e-commerce. When I finally get an order placed, they are always out of something I've ordered (last time it was the Willett Rye, this time Malacca Gin and a wine from Terra Alta). Of course, I don't find out until about a week later when they get around to emailing me to ask what I want to do about it (a. wait, often a month or more, for the product to come back in stock; b. replace the item with something else; or, c. ship the order without it and pay the shipping fee, as removing the item invariably drops me below the free shipping threshold).

Other states and countries have it much worse when it comes to shipping booze, but this still irks me...the regularity of it makes it feel a bit like a bait & switch to get out of the free shipping. That said, once the order shipped (10 days after it was placed), it arrived at my door about 16 hours later (crossing Manhattan faster than some bus lines). Still, all is not well, in that the Malacca is still shown on the invoice instead of the Fords that I replaced it with, and that bottle of Priorat was subbed for the Terra Alta without consent (I guess it didn't come back in stock within a couple days as they initially expected)...it's a bank error in my favor, given that I like Priorat and that label costs about $6 more than the bottle I ordered, so I guess I'll just have to accept that customer service/communication is not their strong suit if/when I give them any more business.
Edited by KD1191 (log)

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

On a trip deep into Jersey...

IMG_20140928_135319.jpg

In the past, I've not been terribly impressed with the Stagg Jr., but it's not a bad deal if you can find it at regular MSRP. Now that I have a bottle I'll be able to play with dilution and hopefully find the sweet spot. Stocking up on the Weller 107. Winter is coming, and it's once again proving scarce closer to home.

• Like 1

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

Beware the sake kick...I'd stick to soft drinks, like overproof rum, myself.  What did me in was a can of Minato Yamahai Nama Genshu.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

The beer selection at the Trader Joe's in Point Loma - mostly local stuff including Port Brewing, Green Flash, Stone, Ballast Point, Saint Archer, AleSmith, Modern Times.

15209248530_dcd57b7123_z.jpg

15209180409_045c917864_z.jpg

15392755361_0459b01e3c_z.jpg

15392749181_7bd1f3a334_z.jpg

15209250940_293ed99369_z.jpg

15209186669_087dc22997_z.jpg

15392752931_4fe9683130_z.jpg

I came home with two favorites, Saison Rue (The Bruery) and Firestone Union Jack IPA.

<3 Green Flash West Coast IPA.

Edited by Rafa (log)

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

I was most pleased yesterday, on visiting an uncommonly-visited (by me) booze shop to pick up some tonic for after-work G&Ts, to find bottles of Bittermen's Tiki Bitters and The Bitter Truth Jerry Thomas Bitters.  All you lot keep publishing recipes calling for them, but I'd never found them before.

So now I'm sorted.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

New/restock

Bitter Truth chocolate, Bitter Truth Grapefruit, Bitter Truth lemon

Campari

Averna

Gosling's

HC7, HC3

Mt Gay Eclipse

Hemdricks

Hayman's London Dry

Bommerlunder Aquavit

Agavales blanco

Loving the TBT and can't wait to try the Averna, first time to buy it.

new.jpg

Newish stuff

Bummed out when I got home I realized the BT was only 80 proof, possible an "export" version? Will have to look around for the 90 proof when finished. Love the Camus, makes an amazing sidecar.

IMG_5829.jpg

Found these two dusty bottles(in a local liqour store that mostly only sells Chinese Baijiu) of Wild Turkey 8 yr old 86.8 proof bottled in 1996. I have limited experience, but it tastes great.

96wt.jpg

96wt2.jpg

They also have two bottles of WT101 with an "imported" stamp showing 2005. Is there any point in buying these? WT101 is reasonably available and at the same price($28) as the two 2005 bottles.

Found these two dusty bottles(in a local liqour store that mostly only sells Chinese Baijiu) of Wild Turkey 8 yr old 86.8 proof bottled in 1996. I have limited experience, but it tastes great.

96wt.jpg

96wt2.jpg

They also have two bottles of WT101 with an "imported" stamp showing 2005. Is there any point in buying these? WT101 is reasonably available and at the same price($28) as the two 2005 bottles.

Not sure these are truly 8yo whiskey but rather the common but annoying trick of sticking an 8 (or some other number) on the label to deliberately fool you when the age statement is dropped. This looks like it says "Something" 8 "Brand". Can't really tell what the "something" on the left side of the 8 is.

There hasn't been age stated 8yo (or the 12yo) available in the US for some time now.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

3 L of Pusser's, 4 750s each of Pikesville rye and Green Hat gin, 3 L of Ansac cognac....4 750s Efe Rakı...a bunch of WNOP....

All gone!

Dinner party with JNW?

• Like 1

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

I confess to going through a bit of Pusser's last night, but it's going on two days since I've touched a drop of cognac (unless you count the cognac in the Grand Marnier) or W&N.  Which reminds me, the W&N is almost empty and I plan a trip to the store tomorrow.  I just worry because last time I got the last bottle on the shelf.

Nice selection, though, Hassouni, and congratulations.

• Like 2

Mainly a wine run, but I did pick up W&N.  Turns out I had more than I thought.  So should be OK for the next few days.  One can have worse problems.

Yesterday, Black Bottle 10 Year Old.  The No Age Statement is widely available but the 10 has been out of production for 4-5 years.  Now kicking myself I didn't buy the whole stock - there were a couple left, I think.

Mainly a wine run

Oh?

DeVoto, The Hour