• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What did you buy at the liquor store today? (2014 – 2015)

Katie Meadow

[Host's note: this topic forms part of a longer discussion that grew too big for our servers to handle efficiently.  The discussion continues from here.]

Trip to stock up on gin and wine and Laird's applejack. Came away with an enormous family size bottle of Bombay Dry and a smaller bottle of Hendrick's, both on sale. Perusing some cocktail recipes this morning for drinks that use Fernet (which I do have) I noticed several appealing drinks that also use Chartreuse, which we have never had around. So I checked that out at the store. The bottle is big, I admit, but it's $50. I had no idea. There was space on the shelf marked for a smaller bottle but there were none, so we passed this time around. I take it that's no surprise to most reading this thread? I do so love that color, though.

Perusing some cocktail recipes this morning for drinks that use Fernet (which I do have) I noticed several appealing drinks that also use Chartreuse, which we have never had around. So I checked that out at the store. The bottle is big, I admit, but it's $50. I had no idea. There was space on the shelf marked for a smaller bottle but there were none, so we passed this time around. I take it that's no surprise to most reading this thread? I do so love that color, though.

$50 for a bottle of Chartreuse? If that's the 750 mL size, it's actually a good price, and you should grab it asap! I usually pay around $70 at the local store.

$50 for a bottle of Chartreuse? If that's the 750 mL size, it's actually a good price, and you should grab it asap! I usually pay around $70 at the local store.

Standard price around here is (not much) under $50 for the 750. I haven't spotted the 375 on local shelves.

Trip to stock up on gin and wine and Laird's applejack. Came away with an enormous family size bottle of Bombay Dry and a smaller bottle of Hendrick's, both on sale. Perusing some cocktail recipes this morning for drinks that use Fernet (which I do have) I noticed several appealing drinks that also use Chartreuse, which we have never had around. So I checked that out at the store. The bottle is big, I admit, but it's $50. I had no idea. There was space on the shelf marked for a smaller bottle but there were none, so we passed this time around. I take it that's no surprise to most reading this thread? I do so love that color, though.

You can redirect your savings.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

I bought a few local beers at Trader Joe's this weekend: Alesmith Decadence 2014 wheat wine ale, Alesmith 2014 Evil Dead Red (their Halloween release),  Chris Banker / Stone/ Insurgente Xocoveza mocha stout, and Stone 18th Anniversary IPA (aka " the hoppiest golden-brown IPA on Earth)”.

15056356667_0ff3d70de5_z.jpg

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)
  • Like 1

I am with you. Camus makes very nice cognacs. I am still thinking of the XO I had years ago. Too bad it is so expensive.

I ran into a ridiculously cheap bottle of the VS a few years ago(under $20) but have not seen a Camus product in my area at any price since  :sad:

Not bought - but brought to me by one of the nurses - a gift from a family member from Holland.

IMG_1610.jpg

Any thoughts about it?  What should I do with it?

Great as is my respect for Mr Google, I quickly grow weary of his attempts at translating.  Which seems to be pretty much with you're faced with here; most of the references are in Dutch.

​However, this seems to be a herbal bitters - if you were Italian you might call it an amaro? - which may (or may not) feature such things as caraway.  Try it as a sub for Kummel?  The Adams rather appeals ...

But let us know, whatever happens.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Just had a little taste of it - liquorice, sweet liquorice, caramel, some other herbs that are familiar but I can't put my finger on.   Quite tasty actually.

Kina San Clemente: A Sweet Flavored Beverage with a Wine Base. Top quality wine with quinine extract...hard to read stuff...great as an aperitif or desert, or with poultry?

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

Still no Cynar to be had.  But I found these:

Cocchi.jpg

I think they must have only recently become available here - or maybe it's just a new label.  Cocchi seems to pop up a lot in recipes both here and in Kindred, so I'm looking forward to seeing how it differs from Punt e Mes, or Carpano, or  ...

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

A lot like the bianco, but with more berry and lemon peel. Nothing like Lillet Rouge or Rosé.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

Cocchi Americano Rosa has a lot of berries as Rafa said, almost like sangria... It's not very bitter at all. I had it on the rocks and thought it was pleasant but a bit "light", in weight and in taste.

Regarding Cocchi Americano (white), it does well in a lot of cocktails that call for Lillet, but Lillet is still needed if you like White Negronis. One of the differences comes from the fact that Cocchi contains gentian in addition to quinine, which is the only bittering agent in Lillet.  They are different enough that I buy both. Lots of discussion about this in the Lillet and the Cocchi threads.

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)
  • Like 2