• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chicago: one day trip to Chinatown, suggestions?

Naftal

Naftal,

GTA = Greater Toronto Area.  Markham & Richmond Hill are areas with concentrations of good Cantonese restaurants.

SGV = San Gabriel Valley.  Said by many to be THE premier area for Chinese food of widely varying regionalities (and including Taiwanese) within the USA (note, NOT North America)

For Cantonese food (which includes dim-sum) in North America, Vancouver & the GTA are said to be the best.

The concept of going to "Chinatown" for anything good in terms of Chinese cuisine or supplies is gradually fading as the East Asian populations spread out and move into the larger population in many metropolitan areas nowadays.  In some cases the "old" Chinatown even ceases to be the go-to place for excellence and new areas (more spread-out, even) take over. 

Yes, I've read about the exploits of folks in eating well in various Chinese restaurants in DTW and Ann Arbor on another (cough) food forum.  I wondered about your experiences in an earlier post here.

""   The clerks may not speak English, but if you show them what you want they can steer you to a good buy:) ""

exactly the same in Chinatown Boston.

huiray-My comments about DTW were indeed a response to your earlier post :smile:

rotuts- IMHO Pointing is the universal human sign for: "I have absolutely no idea what this is called" :smile:  :smile: :smile:  

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

huiray- BTW would mentioning my local (DTW) faves here be OT? I thought that might be the case. :blush:  If that is not so, I will be happy to list them :smile:

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

Probably. ;-)  Perhaps you might start a separate thread on that?

Great Idea :smile: