• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

THS

THS

After reading about vacuum concentrating I wanted to try it out. I'm currently in the process of building a setup for it on the cheap.

My current setup is the following an aspirator connected to pump that circulates ice water. The aspirator is then connected to a vacuum flask on the stove.

setup.thumb.jpg.6f2b447c88eedbcdb798e6a0460c3987.jpg

There are some issues that I cannot fully solve. First the suction of the aspirator is variable based on position and if the line back to the ice bath is under water or not. But a vacuum is definitely created. 

@DiggingDogFarm is there something wrong with my circulation setup?

The second is that my water got way over 70°C even with an ice water bath. It might be that my stove top was at a too high temperature. I'll make a new test run next weekend to rule this out.

To test my vacuum I ordered a vacuum gauge to test is my aspirator is even working as intended.

I hope to get this project working because it would be nice if there was a way to make vacuum concentrations at home without spending a lot of money.

THS

THS

After reading about vacuum concentrating I wanted to try it out. I'm currently in the process of building a setup for it on the cheap.

My current setup is the following an aspirator connected to pump that circulates ice water. The aspirator is then connected to a vacuum flask on the stove.

setup.thumb.jpg.6f2b447c88eedbcdb798e6a0460c3987.jpg

There are some issues that I cannot fully solve. First the suction of the aspirator is variable based on position and if the line back to the ice bath is under water or not. But a vacuum is definitely created. 

@DiggingDogFarm is there something wrong with my circulation setup?

The second is that my water got way over 70°C even with an ice water bath. It might be that my stove top was at a too high temperature. I'll make a new test run next weekend to rule this out.

To test my vacuum I ordered a vacuum gauge to test is my aspirator is even working as intended.

I hope to get this project working because it would be nice if there was a way to make vacuum concentrations at home without spending a lot of money.